Preamp or Multieffects? Your opinions Please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Sep 22, 2005.

1. I'm looking at a Sansamp RBI or Bass PODxt Live. Being on a limited budget, I would like to get away with using 1 or the other but not both - I would like to use some of the effects on the POD - BUT I want to make sure the Preamp is up to par in comparison to an RBI.

If the Preamp on the POD stinks then I would probably go with the RBI.

Your opinions please ;)

- Andrew
  2. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm not a huge fan of either item, but the sansamp is a higher quality piece of gear IMO.
  3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I really don't like the POD stuff. I don't really understand the way it's meant to be used. So I'd say sansamp.

But it's really 2 different things, in fact !!
  4. There is a used BOSS GT-6B for sale in Toronto if you're interested.

I believe it would be something like the PodXT live with preamp, FXs and amp/cab simulaters. Cheap and a lot of TBers really like it. I'm using a BOSS ME-50B both live and in the studio with terrific results. Bass -> into ME-50B -> into sound card for some great different tones.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'd go with the Sansamp, personally. The POD is best as a studio/direct pre, not necessarily for live applications. Now, it does give you the option of using it in live situations, don't get me wrong. But its strenght lies in its direct capabilities.
  6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The more time I spend with POD's, the less I like them..

It really depends on what you are looking for in a unit.

The other option is to find the effects from the POD you like, and just get them.
  7. :bassist: I ran a similar thread last month. Most respondents said none of the modelers did justice to amps & cabs. I decided on an Ampeg preamp.