Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp or not ???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Boppingtheory, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    I usually play a DB in small gigs with a SWR Workingman's 12" run with a KK Bass Max and in my opinion the sound is excellent, even if I had to tweak the controls for a while to find out a natural sound.
    If a should gig in a medium-large place, where a PA system is needed, could a preamp be really necessary in order to send a good signal to the mixer through the DI of my personal amp?
    How can it "affect" my sound 'cause I wouldn't lose mine ? Thanks a lot.

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    As I wrote you privately, the Bass Max generally gets along better with conventional "bass guitar amps" than most piezo-based pickups, many of which absolutely require the ultra-high impedance input.

The best way to determine it is to borrow a preamp with an input impedance of 1 megohm or greater -- it doesn't have to be a bass-specific preamp, because its primary purpose is to serve as a buffer between the pickup and whatever you're plugging into. Use no EQ at the preamp; the best preamps for this purpose are transparent-sounding IMHO. If it sounds good, pursue a preamp. If it doesn't do anything or much, stay with the direct approach.

www.bobthebassguy.com