Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp out of batteries!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassnewbie11, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    In my fender P, I have one of those raven lab preamps inside the bass. When I bought it, it was used and I have no idea how this piece of equipment works. Recently my bass with the preamp in it has just somewhat stopped working. When I first plug in it works for about 30 secs of playing then just makes a very soft fuzzing sound. Is this the normal symptoms of needing new batteries or is this another problem all together? And if I do need new batteries, whats the best way to get at this preamp?

2. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Sounds like typical dead batteries to me. The only way to get to the electronics in your P-Bass is to remove the pickguard. The 9volt will be under there...

3. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    pretty sure its not a nine volt, pretty sure its like those watch sized batteries... this might sound retarted but I tried to get my pickguard off.. the screws are friggin tight. Whats best way to pry this baby off?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    lust pull little by little all around the edge. Don't pull fast or hard.

5. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    wait, but its screwed on? DOnt I have to unscrew it? :meh: :meh: :meh:

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, you've gotta take all the screws out. Be sure to use the correct size phillips screwdriver. Those little screws are easy to strip, especially if you've got a screwdriver that's too small. Use the biggest screwdriver that will fit into the screw; if it's too big, it won't fit at all.

7. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    dear god these screws are tough to get out!! ahhh!!

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Maybe you could get somebody to help you get the screws out? Once you do, make sure you post how the battery change goes. I'm dieing to know if it's a 9v or a watch battery. ;)

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, and don't hurt your hand fighting with the screwdriver. I did that the other day. Makes it hard to play the bass now.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From the Raven website:

"The electronics feature custom brass bushing pots, German Wima capacitors, 1% resistors, and a precision ultra low noise op amp. They are powered by two lithium coin cell batteries that can be found nearly any place batteries are sold. Battery life is about 300 hours under normal use."

Should be an easy replacement...

11. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Checked up on the RavenLabs and it does use "two lithium coin cell batteries".

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Dang it you guys, now what reason do I have to watch this thread?

...okay, bsasnewbie11 - let us know if you get the screws out without stripping them or not.

13. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    update: I have yet to get the screws out, the phillips-heads i have are either too big, or too small. I will check out some buddys tools later, but damn i may be too lame to unscrew these. What an embaressing problem. :bawl:

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, go to the hardware store and buy the right one. That way, you'll be able to get it off nex time! Good luck :D

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Simple way to do this,
    Put screwdriver you will use to turn screw in place
    2) take second screwdriver or small hammer and tap head of first screwdriver.
    3)try to slowly turn screw while tapping;

This should free the screws, then take a butter knife to slowly lift up pickguard.

16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Not on little screws in wood! This is a recipe for disaster.

Go to the hardware store and get the right size screwdriver.

If you don't have that much patience, you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING to your bass.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What I left out is to do this once he has the right size screwdriver.