Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PREAMP OUT OF COMBO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Mar 13, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    OK, If I want to run the preamp in my combo amp into my power amp, I run a cord from the preamp out of the combo to the input channel of the power amp, plug the guitar into the combo input, fire the combo up then the power amp, yes?

I'm not quite too embarrassed to post this - but close. Fact is I've never tried it and when I did the above, I got zip. Which is a plus over smoke but not the outcome I had in mind. But if this is correct, then the amp has a problem and I'd rather be stupid (in this instance anyway) than have something wrong with my amp.

=============

"Stupid is as stupid does." (F. Gump)

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That should work...what speakers do you have hooked up to your power amp? What kind of power amp are we talking about? And I assume you've eliminated the possibility of a bad cable?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That should work...what speakers do you have hooked up to your power amp? What kind of power amp are we talking about? And I assume you've eliminated the possibility of a bad cable?

Aggie GS 112 on one side and a cab loaded with an Altec 421-8LF on the other run (both 8 ohm) with a QSC RMX 1450 using parallel input. Just ran a monster guitar cable between the combo and power amp, cable's fine.