Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp out to QSC RMX 850. Connection?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 25, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    How do I go about doing this? The instructions are confusing.
    I supposed I have three choices:
    1. XLR out to power amp in
    2. Effects send to power amp in
    3. Slave out to power amp in

Right now I have an XLR cable running from the preamp of my Mesa to the RMX 850. Yet somehow I don't have any sound. I turned the level up and still no sound. I was told this is the best way to do it by the guy at GC and can't figure it out, even with the dip switches set to what I believe is correct.
    I have channel 2 features set to off and 1-7 of the dip switches set to the right. This means I am bridged with parallel inputs on. The strange thing is that when I plug cab #1 into my Mesa head I get sound and the signal LEDs light up on the RMX.

What type cable do I use to go from slave out to power amp? Shielded instrument cable or unshielded speaker cable?

I'm completely lost guys.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Exactly what make/model of amp do you have? I was going to research the problem for you but I checked your profile to find out but it isn't filled out.

Filling it out helps sometimes.

Like now.

Later dude.

:D

Joe.

Edit: Oops, missed the part about the signal getting to the QSC.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    On my 1450 the settings I use are (on=right):

On
    Off
    On
    On
    Off
    Off
    Off
    On
    Off

and feed signal to the XLR on channel 1. I get output from both channels but am not in bridged mode.

4. Don't mean to state the obvious, but if you have the amp in bridged mode, you need to use the 1+ and 2+ terminals (the 2 red ones).

I switch my amps around all the time in my PA and once in a while, I still forget to do this.

Please let us know the answer once you figure it out.

Rocky

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Never use unshielded cable unless it's for a speaker connection.

Try running the amp in stereo or dual mono rather than bridged (just using one speaker if need be), just to be sure that it's not a speaker cabling issue. If the QSC shows input on the meters, it almost certainly is a speaker cabling issue like Rocky mentioned, eh?

6. I guess that is sort of what I said, eh? LOL!

R :p