preamp output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, Nov 23, 2002.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, so after talking with lord valve, and looking at different sites trying to figure out which preamp require a modded power amp, I'd like to have a concise list available. I don't know if a thread has already been done, but let me ask you guys anyways, and if you can point me in the right direction, that would be super cool.

The question is, which of these preamp have a relatively low output signal that may require an extra boost for a power amp?

Ampeg Svp
    Aguilar 659
    Raven Labs universal instrument preamp (do they have a bass only preamp?)
    Swr IOD and grand prix
    Eden navigator
    Demeter vtbp 201s and hbp -1

Also, feel free to add other preamps, with the answer to the question, and also feel free to elaborate if you dig the sound of them. If you are wondering what kind of I sound I would be into, I need to go from smooth Jazz, funk and slap to out of control heavy rock and metal. I have tried 4 or 5 of the ones listed above, and they all were nice sounds.
  2. I know that the IOD requires a boost to push heavy duty power amps to full power, but i'm not sure about any of the rest of them.
  3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks alot! Actually, I have narrowed down what
    I want to a demeter, and the aguilar 659.

In particualr, does anyone know of the aguilar 659 has a strong enough signal to drive the qsc plx correctly?
  4. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have a 659 and a 201 and both drive my unmodified 2402 fine (i.e. I can get all the input LED's lighting up without driving the preamp input level to distort.) But the necessary preamp level can vary a lot for different basses - that's to be expected.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I always thought the IOD had very high output and could even drive headphones or a small speaker on its own...

I never checked the specs.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have the Eden Navigator and have no problems driving a Carvin DCM2000 power amp with it.

Its probably the most versatile preamp you listed, though I think the Aguilar's sound better with less versatility.
  7. Somebody check my math:

The SVP Pro advertises +76dB gain total.

A 140mV (0.00140 volts) raised 76 dB is about 8.8 volts.

I honestly have no idea what voltage a passive bass puts out, so I'm using the specs published by several of the pickup manufacturers.
  8. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks guys, pretty much what I wanted to hear.

It seems that most of these preamps are fine, except the IOD. I thought I head this was sometiems an issue, but oh well, doesn't seem to be for the ones I want.

Anyone got the alembic fx-1?
  9. I owned the F-1X before the IOD, and it had a weak DI output. All I use is the (balanced) DI outs because my signal chain is entirely balanced. The IOD has no difference in output between balanced and unbalanced. I tried the F-1X once with an unbalanced cabled, and it seemed louder. Nothing conclusive.