1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp Pedal for 12 string bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AtomicPunk, Jan 1, 2012.

1. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I just bought a passive 12 string bass (Waterstone TP-12) and all of the other basses I use are 18V active basses. When I plug in the Waterstone, it is missing that low end that the others get with ease. Thinking about adding a preamp pedal in the chain to get that low end grunt. Not distortion, just OOMPH and the booty shaking bass I'm used to getting from my Bongo, etc.
    I'm unfamiliar with the good / bad / ugly of pedals, so looking for what's good, etc. Any recommendations?
    THANKS!

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The MXR Bass D.I.+ is great for adding fullness and heft...even a footswitchable distortion if you so desire.

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    If you want a really small and simple solution (not a ton of knobs) get a [sfx] Red Dragon. With the tone down and the gain up it doesn't distort, but will give you a really nice, deep "tubey" kind of growl. I use a custom version of the Red Dragon at the front of my chain for my Dean 12 String Bass.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    An EQ pedal would also work well, like the Barber Linden, which can add a literal ton of low end.