1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp Pedal For Silent Stage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by samcrabtree01, Oct 3, 2019.

1. So I'm thinking of switching the whole band to IEM and selling my head and cab to create a silent stage.

We have a Behringer XR18 desk and I wonder what preamp I should purchase to Di straight into the XR18. Trickfish Trilobite, Line 6 Stomp, Trace Elliot Transit B etc.

Or do I just need a basic di box?

I do have an effects board already with octave, compressor, envelope, chorus and tuner.

Just trying to make everything as simple and efficient as possible.

Thanks

Iristone likes this.
  2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to the rabbit hole. TONS of choices out there.

You looking for clean? Dirt? Overdrive? Amp simulation?

3. Messenger, Tone Hammer, or any of the ones you mentioned. I like to be able to quickly shape my tone with an end of channel preamp pedal, and the Broughton Messenger is what I currently use.

4. You've gotta ask yourself "Do I want to go as direct as possible, like in a studio situation; or am I going to miss the sound and feel of an amp and cab.

As has been mentioned, there is a veritable horde of options and you've gotta figure some way of narrowing it down.

Omnicabsim or other cab-sim with DI could be an option.

Radial has a bunch of Pre/DI options for you to explore.

Felix, Monique, Flex, Sadowsky, MXR...

If you really reallah rillah rilly miss having the blast of a amp-cab combination...
    You could get one of those vibro-risers, the platforms that you plug an amp into and you stand on it so you can feel the bass...

chupacerveza, Mili and samcrabtree01 like this.
  5. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
  6. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I use a TC Spectradrive, it gives me EQ, compression, drive, and a good DI. You've already got a compressor so that might be overkill. I like the pedal though, it does exactly what I need. And I really like the IEM world, so much easier to haul my rig.

samcrabtree01 likes this.
  7. Just a solid clean tone. It's all function stuff so no overdrive/fuzz. Thanks

chupacerveza likes this.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Mesa Subway DI or Tone Hammer would be very good choices. Got the coin ? Avalon U5 is sooo good. Subway is my choice. But I do have a U5 waiting in the wings...

9. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I LOVE my VT Bass Deluxe running direct and using IEMs. 6 channels with FX loop which can be programmed to be on or off with any channel you set it to, it's everything I need and then some.

10. Tbh I'm quite apprehensive about having no amp on stage but I guess it's the best way to go for simplicity if using IEM

UnderTheRadar likes this.
  11. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't sell your head & cab! Not until you and your gang are fully, completely sold and comfy with the IEM setup at least.

From what I'm reading, you don't need OD and don't need cab sim. IMHO, a certain amount of cab simulation can be achieved via EQ anyway (and the VT Deluxe, wonderful pedal, demonstrates that with the factory preset settings), so really, if you've got good overdrive handled or are 100% clean, then the world's your oyster.

That said, another question worth asking is: what sort of music are you playing? If you want authentic sounds (for covers, for example), then some cab simulation may really be the ticket. Think Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B., which will obviate the need for further EQ or even DI hardware, since the output is TRS/balanced. If you're strictly original and only want full signal to house, a DI is very possibly the solution.

Nephilymbass, chupacerveza and lat like this.
  12. Thanks. Music is 60s Motown to modern pop. Basically classic wedding music. There's so many pedals it's hard to choose one!

chupacerveza likes this.
  13. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Helix? Kemper? Axe-FX? Boss GT-B? HD500x? Zoom B3/B3n? etc.

14. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    The Mesa preamp/DI is kinda setup for what you are wanting to do. It has 2 DI's. One post eq and the other pre/post. This will let you send pre to the FOH and post to your IEM. It does not however, have any overdrive/ character etc. It is just a very high quality preamp/DI with some very nice features.

15. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I use a Sansamp Paradriver when I go ampless

Rickter and samcrabtree01 like this.
  16. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    You probably don't need much. I plug straight into the board. But it is on stage and I control it.

17. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    We run all IEM with no amps on stage. My signal chain is
    Bass
    BackBeat
    Wireless
    Peterson Stroborack
    DBX 160A
    REDDI and out to the FOH

chupacerveza and samcrabtree01 like this.
  18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    I've been using IEM and no amp for a few years now. I started with a Sansamp BDDI which was really good, I also used an Eden WTDI which has a different sound but also sounds great. I gravitated towards the Sansamp because it could be phantom powered.
    Recently I've been using an Alembic F-1X and I think I've finally found the sound that was in my head.
    There are lots of choices, the critical part is to ensure you get a good seal on the ear buds, this will give you bottom end, any leaks and it will sound thin.
    Another thing to watch is your volume, you can still damage your hearing if it's too loud in your ears. Keep it at a safe level and you will have the best mix possible.
    You need to try out some preamps and see what works for you, the good thing is there is so much choice and lots of great gear at all price levels.
    Avalon, Monique, F-1X, Noble, there are so many high end preamps if you have the budget but even the more affordable preamps provide a good sound. As I said we've been doing this for years and it works well so good luck in your quest, I'm sure you're going to adapt to not having an amp and you will enjoy the consistently good sound.

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    One not-so-unimportant thing to consider is how competent the person is that does the FOH mix.
    There simply is not much need to tweak your sound until the last tiny Hz fragment sits perfectly where you want it with a dozen pedals and tube preamps when your FOH person simply butchers it through the big speakers.
    It is, in my experience, hard to beat a Sansamp pedal in terms of ease-of-use for FOH. A Sansamp ran mostly flat into the mixer ran flat will yield a good result in most rooms.

20. Thanks what buds do you use? I've been looking at KZ ZS10 Pro and Behringer P16 to get started.