Preamp Pedal/Power Amp Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Feb 15, 2005.

1. caesarbass

caesarbass

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music.
    Has anybody used a preamp pedal, such as a SanAmp or Sadowsky, and a power amp as a rig? I've done a couple of gigs where I had to use one of my pedals (Sad. or Sans) with a poweramp and it sounded great.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played a couple gigs using a SABDDI and a Stewart 2.1. I thought it sounded just fine.

-Mike

3. I played in an open air auditorium using my Boss DI-1, PV900 and hartke 4.5XL and it sounded great.. well.. the FOH man thought so.. :) I just used the onboard eq of my Stingray for tone adjustment.

4. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use either my Avalon U5 or SansAmp BDDI (depending on the gig) and a QSC PLX 1202 into a Bergantino HT112. Love it!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I tried both the Sadowsky and the SABDDI last week into a power amp into my SWR cab. I found the SABDDI sounded better with more tonal options, despite the Sadowsky being my main pre pedal. It was perfectly acceptable.

6. caesarbass

caesarbass

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music.
    I'm thinking about a Stewart power amp, maybe the 1.2. It's 11lbs, one rack space, and 1200 watts into 4 ohms, bridged. It's also about $580.00. Do you guys know of any reliability issues with these amps???
    Thanks for the feedback on the pedal/power amp config. :bassist:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have heard reliablity (heat) issues with the stewart 1.2 and the other ones without fans, but jokerjkny has one without incident. a few of us have had problems with one channel of our 2.1's going but it doesnt seem to be too common of an issue.

as far as using a pedal as a preamp..........the BDDI and others like it will work, but they don't have an output signal as hot as a standard rackmount preamp so you won't get as loud. that said, i'ev used mine with my 2.1, i just had to turn up the attenuators on the stewart much higher than normal. The avalon puts out a "preamp level" signal. not sure about the sadowsky, but i bet it puts out close to the sans amp bass driver.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There's a mod you make to the SABDDI to male it compatible for this application. Do a search as there's a thread about it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, been using my 1.2 for a few years now, and have yet to have an issue. granted, i'm using it for moderate volumes, and not pushing it all that much.