Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Pedal/Power Amp Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Has anybody used a preamp pedal, such as a SanAmp or Sadowsky, and a power amp as a rig? I've done a couple of gigs where I had to use one of my pedals (Sad. or Sans) with a poweramp and it sounded great.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played a couple gigs using a SABDDI and a Stewart 2.1. I thought it sounded just fine.

-Mike

3. I played in an open air auditorium using my Boss DI-1, PV900 and hartke 4.5XL and it sounded great.. well.. the FOH man thought so.. :) I just used the onboard eq of my Stingray for tone adjustment.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use either my Avalon U5 or SansAmp BDDI (depending on the gig) and a QSC PLX 1202 into a Bergantino HT112. Love it!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I tried both the Sadowsky and the SABDDI last week into a power amp into my SWR cab. I found the SABDDI sounded better with more tonal options, despite the Sadowsky being my main pre pedal. It was perfectly acceptable.

6. I'm thinking about a Stewart power amp, maybe the 1.2. It's 11lbs, one rack space, and 1200 watts into 4 ohms, bridged. It's also about $580.00. Do you guys know of any reliability issues with these amps???
    Thanks for the feedback on the pedal/power amp config. :bassist:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have heard reliablity (heat) issues with the stewart 1.2 and the other ones without fans, but jokerjkny has one without incident. a few of us have had problems with one channel of our 2.1's going but it doesnt seem to be too common of an issue.

as far as using a pedal as a preamp..........the BDDI and others like it will work, but they don't have an output signal as hot as a standard rackmount preamp so you won't get as loud. that said, i'ev used mine with my 2.1, i just had to turn up the attenuators on the stewart much higher than normal. The avalon puts out a "preamp level" signal. not sure about the sadowsky, but i bet it puts out close to the sans amp bass driver.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There's a mod you make to the SABDDI to male it compatible for this application. Do a search as there's a thread about it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, been using my 1.2 for a few years now, and have yet to have an issue. granted, i'm using it for moderate volumes, and not pushing it all that much.