1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp pedal with built in compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jlt5x, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    looking to lighten my load. Don’t always need my compressor. Would be nice to have one pedal for both. Preamp is higher priority. I like the scr di.... Just a fairly simple compressor for smoothing things out.

What pedals do both? What do you like?
    Prefer under $200

Please and thank you

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Fishman Platinum Pro has a very efficient built-in compressor.
    The 1st version is easy to find for under 150.
    It is a rather clean preamp though, not as colored as the SCR-DI.

People seem happy with the GK Plex but I don't have enough 1st hand experience to recommend it.

3. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I'm using a SCR-DI right now and a Keeley Bassist compressor - both of which I like quite a bit. Of course that combination neither lightens your load nor comes in under $200.

I can't speak from personal experience, but the EHX Battalion is a preamp with a compressor that goes for about $150 new. The GK Plex also does what you're asking but its quite a bit above the $200 price tag.

If space is an issue, maybe find a preamp you're interested in (that doesn't have a built in compressor) and look to add a TC Electronic SpectraComp (small form factor and less than $100 used).

Randy Ward likes this.
  4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Hmm... I was thinking a Trace Transit B or Tech 21 Bass Fly, but hose are a bit more cash and feature heavy than the OP request. The Keeley Tone Workstation came to mind, but it is more guitar oriented and more of a drive/comp than a preamp (no EQ nor XLR/balanced out), and doesn't fit the price criteria.
    Curious what folks suggest.

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I dig the EQ and the distortion on the Battalion, but the first time I tried it I found the compressor to be bonkers heavy. I've got it on my list to try again though when I have more energy to really dial it in.

Randy Ward likes this.
  6. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    I have the scr already. I could get the smaller pedal version but no di. Maybe I’ll see if I can find a battalion to try

7. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    The HiWatt "the Ox" is a great one..... Does both, maybe 300 to 350

And the API Tranzformer is an amazing one....... pricey but great

Hubriser likes this.
  8. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Anyone like the Eden wtdi? That also has compressor. Same price as battalion

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    For just about 200$ exactly you get the EHX Black Finger, which is actually designed to be a tube driven optical compressor, but works fine as a tube preamp or overdrive as well, as it is actually build as a tube preamp with a compressor circuit in between the input and output stage.

At least I personally use it as a tube preamp by dialing out most of the compressor circuit and setting it to mildly break up when I dig in hard.

It doesn't really have a lot of controls, for instance there is no tone control or other from of EQ, but by placing a separate EQ pedal right after the Black Finger your good in that department as well, personally though I like the tone it puts out just fine.

Neither does it have a DI output, but by placing any regular basic cheap DI box right after it (or after an eventual EQ pedal) it will practically work as a tube driven preamp with DI output.

It has both got an input stage tube and an output stage tube, each run at proper high voltage of 300V, to ensure you get the real tube sound.

In my personal opinion it is an amazing sounding pedal for enhancing your tone, and a bit cheaper than what other tube driven pedals run at high voltage typically are sold for.

For further information about the Black Finger try skim this thread through for posts about it:
    Tube preamps <$100.00...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. LR Baggs Stadium DI.

11. I have the WTDI and like it. It's small, well built and functional, but doesn't color your tone much. If you want a trusted review, there is a review of the WTDI on ovnilab.

12. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Gallien-Krueger Plex preamp.