1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H4llo5, Nov 8, 2017.

1. H4llo5

H4llo5

Nov 7, 2017
    hi, I’ll explain the situation first to help with any suggestions. Firstly I have no real problems with my sound when using my own amp (ric 4003 going through an orange ad200b and orange 1x15 cab). The issue is when we’re supporting other bands and the sound engineer/promoter only want one bass amp and cab there thus using someone else’s. On both of the last two times we’ve been playing out of town the gear we’ve been playing through has been pretty poor. I don’t mind the sound for me being poor on stage but front of house is pretty annoying. Due to this I’ve started to look at some preamp pedals with di out to completely bypass the issue. Obviously the Darkglass looks to be highly recommended and our producer loves his. Any other recommendations to shape and di the sound out front?

2. Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    gregmon79 likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Another option for an Orange preamp emulator pedal, that isn't listed among the five in your link there, is the Joyo Orange Juice, which is both an incredible small and incredible cheap option.

Personally I like the Orange Juice a lot, so much that I got two of them.

When that is said, honestly the Orange Juice is probably better suited as an overdrive pedal than a preamp, at least for bass, since it, even if it doesn't really loose any bottom end, actually is designed with guitar in mind.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Tech 21 Oxford would do the trick. My buddy @FaithNoMan uses one and he's also a big Darkglass supporter. He likes the way the Oxford can grind in the way DG pedals do. I would think that it also does mellower, warmer tones as well.

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    in the interests of science, I have used these:

Dave Hall Amps (DHA) VT1-EQ - warm, soft, fat, old school tube sound. maybe in the same ballpark as Orange? can be run clean or overdriven. versatile EQ with sweepable high-mids.

Sansamp BDDI - the industry standard. mid-scoopy by nature, otherwise very nice, quite hi-fi sounding (to my ears) tone smoothing and OD. works best with basses that have a natural mid-bump i find.

Behringer BDI21 - clone of the Sansamp. sounds pretty much identical, sucky plastic build quality. I actually use this as my main preamp pedal and it works fine as long as you don't back your car over it.

Fuzzrocious Broke **** Peanut Gallery - dirty preamp with a sweepable filter rather than conventional EQ. kind of grindy, mid-scooped OD with a ton of low end on tap. not suited for every situation - does not do clean sounds at unity volume - but unbeatable at what it does do. often used as a "tone fattener" with fuzz pedals rather than a straight preamp. no XLR out if that matters to you.

6. Go for broke like I did and get a Verrellen meatsmoke preamp

7. I dig my Earthquakes Devices Monarch for an Orange style sound. I love it paired up with my LR Baggs Stadium DI.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. H4llo5

H4llo5

Nov 7, 2017
    Cheers for all the replies, lots of googling and youtube videos for me this weekend by the looks of it.