Preamp pedals, and power amps. The age-old dilemma.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by majortoby, Jul 26, 2013.

1. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Okay, so as you may or may not know (and likely do not care), I have decided to go the separate pre/power amp route. Nobody is talking me down from this, so let that be immediately known.

My question is simple.

In this massive selection of preamp pedals, and just as many power amps for under $500, it would seem like everything is golden and magical and wonderful.

Except, it's not. :( Many pre pedals don't have the juevos to drive power amps, and since power amps all seem the have differing sensitivities, I really have a hard time knowing what works with what.

Which is why I now defer to the TB Amps forum for knowledge! It boils down to two different questions:

1. Which pedals have an output voltage of at least 1.0+ volts sustained? Of these pedals, which are known to drive a power amp comfortably?

2. What power amps are known to be "pedal friendly" in terms of input sensitivity? Is there any real rule of thumb for determining what works and what doesn't?

Let's discuss!

2. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Just so you know, the list of pedals I planned on using/trying are as follows:
    ALL Tech 21 products for bass, including EVERY (even the guitar-centric) member of the character series
    Hartke VXL pedal
    Eden WTDI
    Darkglass products
    Viva Analog 360+

There were more, but I'm currently forgetting a few :-/

3. Crest ProLite and Peavey IPR amps have an input sensitivity of 0.774. They are some of the easiest amps to drive.

4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Oh yes, I also planned on trying the newer Line6 Pod products, to see if they were any better than my bean unit.

5. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Tell me, is the bridging cable for the Peavey hard to make, or inherently risky to use?

mexicanyella likes this.
  6. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    On that note, when is the IPR II going to hit shelves? I like the looks of it, and it might make getting the MK I IPR all the more affordable :)

7. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Man, my threads die so fast. :( I guess I should say things that get responses.

AMPEG SUCKS

BEHRINGER RULES

DIGITAL EMULATORS ARE BETTER THAN TUBES

IEM IS BETTER THAN HAVING A RIG

PEAVEY GEAR IS DUMB

PUTTING A 115 UNDER A 410 GIVES YOU THE LOWS OF A 15 WITH THE PUNCH OF 4 10'S

CLASS D AMPS ARE DIGITAL AND SOUND FAKE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO LOWS

:bag:

8. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    That won't help either, but I have used a Tone Hammer for this and it was nice. Really it's just a 'try it out' kind of thing. I 'would' think about a rack preamp too. It will give you more options.

I've tried Sansamp stuff, Demeter, Aguilar (currently). They all sound good, but different. Your ears will tell you, but you may need to search.

Carvin DCM1000L for power.

9. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Also want to try the Tone Hammer pedal, as well as the MXR unit.
    We NEED a pedal pre + power amp megathread/sticky!

10. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Do you find that the Carvin has a sensitive enough input to accommodate a wide variety of pre pedals?

11. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Well, perhaps I should explain why I am so set on having a preamp pedal. I am currently assembling the funds to build my first "real" rig. Among the other components I'll be buying, I plan on having some effects. This means I will need a pedal board. Since I planned on a separates/modular/component amplifier anyways, I figured it would be easiest to have my pre on the pedal board itself. This is in part due to the fact that I will be building my own speaker cab (whatever I finally choose to build is another issue yet :D). Since I'm building my own, I figured I could create a rather elegant solution by building a 2RU rack right into the speaker cab. That way, when it comes time for me to load my rig out/in, all I have to schlep aside from the bass would be a pedal board, and my speaker. And when it comes time to fire it up, I just plug my bass into the fx chain, and the pre into the amp.

I rather liked the idea of having things simplified in this manner. This is why I am so hellbent on using a preamp pedal.

:)

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    1) Check out this thread.

2) Pedals suck, racks reWl:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps, all I've got in any case...;)

13. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Also, if I wind up putting a plate amp into my speaker cab (a more feasible solution with each passing day!), I'd like to have nothing sitting atop my speaker, so I can have a very very minimal aesthetic going on.

Silly, perhaps, but I see people on TB spending way more money on much less reasonable things, lol.

14. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Well, Mr. Escher, you certainly make a VERY strong point. :D

BTW, is there any relation to M.C.? I see a resemblance in the beard...

15. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I love the idea of just plugging an active bass into a powered cab, personally.

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I am Not So Young MC Escher...everybody SCREAM !!!:cool:

17. I love the idea of meeting the gal in the Sadowsky amp picture :)

18. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I'm not big on active basses, but I do desire a similar thing. :hyper:

Oh, what a lovely time it is to be a bassist.

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For years I've been using a Sansamp Paradriver for when I have backline gear. Great DI, great DI with eq, and great preamp to push a power amp. For a few years I used a Paradriver going to the effects return input on my Focus I.
    Solid piece of gear.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021