Preamp pedals, and power amps. The age-old dilemma.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by majortoby, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Your idea is very similar to mine, except that I have no intention of building a large pedal board...

[​IMG]
    I just zip it up and put slide it into the outer pocket of my gig bag. Fits like a glove. Then all I have to deal with is my 2u power amp and cab(s). Works for me.

I am currently using the Aguilar Tone Hammer di /preamp and I like it. However when the VT Bass DI finally gets released I am going to give that a try. I have tried alot of preamp pedals over the years and those two along with the ART Tube MP Studio V3 are among the top contenders. As for a power amp, get one that is reliable and has a good sensitivity rating... like .775. The Crest Prolite has my attention, personally.

2. honkytonkbass

honkytonkbass

Aug 6, 2013
    I'll preface this with I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD WORK. And maybe someone who spends their days recording other people could shed some light on the subject. During a pedal pre/power amp phase of building theoretical rigs in my head, I thought of putting one of these...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-Tub...phone-Instrument-Preamp-104398243-i1125080.gc

between a pre and amp that didn't necessarily get along from a signal standpoint, thinking it might be good for a little gain and some tube warmth to boot. Adds some bulk, but that might not mean a lot on a big ol' pedal board?

And if you're going to build your own cab, this guy's page...

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/index.html

might interest you. Best of luck!

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes the ART Tube MP will work. I especially like the now discontinued ART Tube MP Studio V3 which has a little more versatility in terms of tone. Plenty of juice to drive a power amp with these. Sounds decently warm too.

4. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Late to the party, but watch out, some of the pedals you mentioned are not preamp pedals and will not drive a power amp.

Kinda pricey, but if I'm going pedal to power amp it would be verellen all the way.

Also. **** a rack. Get pedals. Be a cool kid. :cool:

5. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Hmm. FWIW, I used a SansAmp Programmable pedal straight into a QSC PLX for a couple of years with zero issues. I replaced the pedal with a SansAmp RPM just for a cleaner look, but I always bring the pedal to gigs as a backup.

HTH!