Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp/pickup to upgrade MTD Kingston fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Copycat, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm this close to buying an MTD Kingston fretless four, but I'd like to add a pre and possibly replace the pickup. I'm leaning toward the Aguilar OBP-3--I like the fact that it's a three band preamp with control over that very important midrange on the fretless, but also has just two pots, one regular and one concentric (if I go with the SK config). That's a plus, because the Kingston only has volume and tone knobs. Any thoughts on pickups? Anyone add a pre and leave the stock pickup? If I upgrade, I'm leaning toward the passive Bart Music Man style model. Other thoughts? Thanks.

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I added an OBP-1 to a Fender Jazz and it sounded great. Gave the bass lots more punch and clarity.

If I had to do it again, I would probably just buy the Aggie outboard preamp. That way I could use it on other basses if I wanted, and I wouldn't have to make any permanent mods to the bass.

Don

3. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Thanks. I've thought about the outboard as well. It does give you the option of keeping it if you don't keep the bass. Again, I do like the mid control on the OBP-3, and I believe the outboard is just treble, bass, volume.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i did one with a bart NTBT. I also used the very handy Bart HH2 harness which comes wired for a 2 knob bass.