Preamp Possibilities (Rackmounted)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mattwells, Jun 20, 2003.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    Okay, I finally bought a real rack (preamps, poweramp, 4x10, flight cases) for my EB and URB. I have two Warwick Preamps (model WP3-7) running into a Warwick Poweramp and then into a Warwick 4x10 (all in Warwick flight cases and I play a Warwick bass...kinda pathetic, but I got it as a package deal). I am thinking about selling one of the Preamps so I can get something more URB appropriate. I am wondering what people have had luck with in getting a natural sound. I know what is best on the EB side, but have no ideas about the URB side and could not find much. Thanks for input,
  2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas

I've had the best results with the older Demeter VTBP-201 tube preamp. It sounds wonderful for electric and upright bass.

I also used an SWR Grand Prix for a while and it sounded very nice with the upright although I seldom used it for electric. I was using an RCA 7025 in the SWR because it sounded harsh and edgy with the OEM tube.

3. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Rane AP-13. It has two preamps: one for a mic and one for a piezo.

I love it and so do the soundmen.

4. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Have a look at the Raven Labs USIP pre-amp.
    I haven't tried it before, but I assume it's a good product ...
    Anybody here who has any experience with the USIP?

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I haven't used Raven's rack mount preamp, but have used the PMB. I've been tempted to order one of the Ravens in to check it out, as I have so far been very happy with everything I've gotten from them.

Most URB gigs are fine for my Contra, but I have used my Kern rackmounted preamp on two occasions, and it is great for URB as well as bass guitar.