Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Preamp + Power Amp' : Can it replace a head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 26, 2003.

1. I have about 850$ to spend on a new head and cab. I was thinking, could I get a pre-amp and power amp instead of a head, for the same sorta price?

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Well with power amps, you get what you pay for, know that. As far as preamps go, you can get good sounding stuff for an affordable price. Sansamp RBI's are cheap and have a lot of useable tones. Check out some stuff around you.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'd be better off starting only one thread on this subject to keep the responses together...

4. I've been looking around, but I'm quite confused. I really liek the idea of Poweramp+Preamp instead of a head, but I have no clue what's good, what isn't etc..

My Guitar player has a Marshal 100W Head (SS) and a 4x10. What should I be looking at to keep up? (Considering my limited budget (Around $850 for Amp(s) + Cab(s))

5. If I was to get a Line6 Bass Pod as a preamp, and an Alesis RA-300 as a power amp...Would I have a semi decent thing goin' on?

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Probably not. Most often when you opt for separate components, you're going to pay a little more. The flexibility of "separates" usually comes with a bigger price tag. Of course there are exceptions.

On the other hand if you can find YOUR tone and YOUR power requirements all bundled up in one neat package (i.e. a head), then you're likely to save some $$$, and have fewer pounds of gear to haul. Of course there are exceptions.

7. **** it, unless someone tells me I NEED a preamp+poweramp thing I'm not getting it. FOr my budget and what I need it just won't do..

I think I'm just gonna end up getting a Hartke 3500 and a Hartke 410XL, or an Ashdown MAG-250H head and some cab...

8. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    IMHO forget the BassPOD. It is nice for recording but I have been very unimpressed with the tone you get out of it in a live situation.

$0.02

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    With $850 you are going to be hard pressed to get a decent component system. Unless you happen upon some great deals. The cheapest cabs that get good reviews around here are Avatar. Personally I am skeptical. They have no R&D so the cabs he is putting out are based on elemenatary specs. A lot of people use them and seem to like them. Also his customer service is generally way above average. He will take care of things. I would rather save another 200 bucks or more and get a reputable brand. It is pretty well known that Carvin makes decent power amps for a great price. The DCM 1000 sells for $359 I believe and has a 3 year warranty. Then the DCM 1500 goes for $419 and the DCM 2000 for $519. I have the 2000 in transit. So with an Avatar Cab, the DCM 1000 from Carvin and the Sansamp RBI with shipping and a Rack to put the amp and pre in you are over your $850 limit but not by much. Good luck and I hope this helps:D

10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Go for it, B.D.! One bass, One head, One cabinet, and you're there! It's all you really need.

Many of us spend way too much time and money filling a 6-space rack case with the "perfect" combination of separate components, only to discover that we're lugging around a 92 pound boat anchor that most of the listening audience won't ever appreciate. I've done it, and you probably will too.

But for now, take your $850 and buy some gear you can afford. Take good care of it in case you decide to trade it in. And start saving more $$$ because it's inevitable that you will. :D

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    bizzaro...Avatar has quite an esteemed R&D group...us!!! Actually, the way I understand it, Dave works closely with Eminence's engineering staff to create top notch cabinet designs for their loudspeakers. This makes a lot of sense too, as Avatar buys a lot of Eminence loudspeakers....Avatar's success enhances Eminence's success.

But not to hijack Bassline_Delux' thread... Here in the US, you can get a lot of amp/cabinet for $850. I understand that used gear in the UK and Europe is quite a bit more expensive so you'll need to shop carefully to get the most bang for your Quid. I'd also recommend that you try to choose popular brands (as long as the gear sounds good to your ear) so that when the time comes (and unless you're in the vast minority around here, it surely will), you can maximize resale price when you're looking to upgrade.

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    OOPs, I didn't notice you are in the UK. If you had said Pounds or Euros I may have caught it.:bassist:

13. Well ya, no Avatar here, ****.. Anyway..I was thinking either hartke 3500 and 410XL or Ashdown MAG-250H and the Matchign Cab like 410T or something..Any good?

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They're all name brand pieces...you can always mix and match too... It depends on how they sound to you.

You can find user reviews of gear here, on www.harmonycentral.com (in the guitar amp section) or on www.bgra.net.

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    demeter preamp + qsc power amp ='s mmmm.