1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp/power amp set up questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, May 14, 2011.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I'm looking to downsize my rig and overall equipment. Right now I have a Markbass lm2 with a Mesa powerhouse 1x12 and a Markbass traveler 1x15. I sold the Mesa and I'm gonna keep the Markbass cab. I play in a band and have a bunch of pa stuff including a few power amps (crown xls402, crown powerbase, AB president 600a) I'm thinking of getting rid of the lm2 and getting a bass preamp to use with one o my power amps (probably the xls402) as a bass rig. I'm not playing bass out much these days. Mostly drums. Can't justify that big a rig with me about to lose my job (I'm a teacher).

I'm looking for ideas on premamps. Pedals vs rack. I've read some of the threads on ideas but they are mostly rack stuff. Will a good preamp pedal suffice?

2. Preamp pedals come in a wide variety of applications. Some can drive a power amp, others were never meant to. I think the recent demand for small, light rigs has moved manufacturers toward making pedal preamps that can do it all, so newer designs would probably be a safer bet.

I am a big fan of the Aguilar Tone Hammer because it offers a lot of functionality in a small package, and it sounds exceptionally good.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep on the Aguilar TH. Why pedal format? You're gonna need a box for the power amp; just snag one with > 4 spaces and stick a rackmount pre in the top slot.

Riis

4. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Not looking for pedal specifically.. Jus wanted to see if could run an amp with one. I'd prefer a rack if I can find one in my range