Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp/Power Recmmdations? (Lakland/Acme)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 16, 2000.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Greetings,

Here is an update for moi (as if you cared):

Lakland is FIXED! I went to Bartolini in Livermore
    and they fixed a renegade ground wire. The guys
    at Bartolini are really sharp, and Bill Bartolini is a
    cool, funky dude.

I decided to sell my Eden 2x10XLT 8 ohm cabinet. Also,
    I am going to sell a late 70's P-bass I don't use (turd
    brown). Let me know if you are interested in these.
    I'm in the Bay area. Eventually, they'll be on E-bay.

I really like my new Acme 4 ohm. My Ampeg SVTIII pro
    is a little whimpy in driving that little pig. It
    has 450 watts. I think I might just keep the Acme
    and upgrade to a preamp/power amp sometime in the future.
    I'm not in love w/ the Ampeg actually. I compared it
    in GC to Eden and it fell short.

Anyway, I will upgrade with a preamp, a power-amp, and
    probably another acme Low B-2. So I will need some
    SERIOUS power I reck'n. I've noticed that a QSC with
    700 watts/channel is prefered by some of the locals here
    for an Acme duo.

So here is what I would like opinions on:

What preamps are on the must try list besides?

-Alembic FX-1 (and others I should try?)
    -Eden Navigator
    -Demeter
    -EBS (man, those are some tacky looking preamps)
    -Kern (whoa, is this straight from the 70's?)
    -Which others?

Power amps?
    -QSC
    -Mackie
    -Stewart World
    -Carvin

Also, How much is enough for power? I gather from
    Michael and the other guy that bought them that
    probably 600-700watts a piece is good. Holy cow,
    what thirsty little pigs!

:-D

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    It looks like you've got the bases covered. Check out Crest Audio they introducing two new switching power supplies amps the LT and LS.

I am currently using a QSC 2402/Navigator combination. My only complaint is the fan noise from the QSC. Also Check out the Sunfire Bob Carver Signature, lots of volts very little heat and very Hi-Fi.

3. trailertrash

trailertrash

Nov 13, 2000
    Hi capn',I've got a used kern preamp that I like.My only
    gripe was that I couldn't find one around here(Mpls.)to try out.I called Kern several times and didn't even get a answering machine.But a music shop told me the boss at Kern is a whiz at electronics,but a bit out of it as far as basic buisness practises go. But I bought one over the Internet,and it crapped out on me.I finally got a hold of Kern(they got an answering machine!)and the guy was great!He fixed for free even though it was bought used.The sound (for my tastes)is better than the Alembic,with more bottom end power.I liked an expensive Aguliar one that I tried out better,but it was out of my price range.The Kern has straight forward controls,the only trick thing on it is a blend type control that I boost a bit for a bit more attack.If I was you I'd also check out the eden preamp.I'm using a power amp from them that has been reliable.A friend of mine has their preamp and I'll check it out and let you know what I think.I'm only half hour away from the eden factory,and know one of the reps. if thats any help to you.Thanks for info about acme,I'm interested but I need a lot of volume! Guess I got off the topic,first time posting.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I used an Eden Navigator (now for sale, hint) with a Stewart PA-1000 to drive 2 to 4 Acme Low B-2's, and had plenty of power. I don't think one needs 800 watts to drive a single Acme 2x10 like some others do. I was pushing these cabs to thier limit occasionally, and technically only putting about 250 watts into each cab.

I'm close to the Bay Area, so you could check out the Eden I have. Its a great pre, but I'm selling for an upgrade.

[Edited by coyoteboy on 11-18-2000 at 04:04 PM]

5. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    funny, a music store owner i once talked to said much the same thing about Kern (the inventor)-- in fact, he went as far as to say that he was "nuts"...

anyway, i got an aguilar db 659, and it's by far the best thing i've ever heard a bass put through, and i've tried a lot of preamps. i just don't like the attack of the alembic-- it doesn't seem to "breathe". the eden preamp seems too "colored". the only thing that came close to the aguilar was a vintage neve preamp module.

the only downside of the 659 is that you don't have much control over the mids-- only a single knob set at a single frequency. but it sounds so good, i just don't care...

6. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Pre: (add) Hary Kolbe, Warwick, Alembic sf1
    Amp: (nix) Carvin & Mackie
    (add) CREST & Halfner

7. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    I currently run an Aguilar DB 680 preamp, (take the 659 and add a whole bunch of sound shaping!) and the DB 728 all tube, power amp. At 400 watts, the amp sounds one hell of a lot louder!

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Don't forget the new Ashdown preamp and power amps (600w and 1000w).

9. I use:

pre-amp: Peavey Max
    amp: Mackie 1400i

I like them both very much.

John

10. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    For my pair of B2's I have the QSC1602 and it serves me well. It is fed my a Rane Compressor that has seperate highs and lows. Thats right no preamp! I also use a Korg digital delay spliting my signal and going to each side of the QSC. Not nessisary for most of what I do but it was laying around so i put it in the open rack space.

If i was to bridge, I could go into one of these puppies with a lots more watts. Another option would be to wire for two ohms and run these off of one side and be able to drive an other cabinet or two off the open side.

If I were you, I would find out what the 2402 sounded like or ask Andy. I wonder what he really thinks is too much power.

For preamps you might try BassNW.com they have some refurbished Ampeg preamps for a good deal right now.

jc

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've been very satisfied with the Alembic F-1X going into a Stewart World 1.2.

No nonsense, great sound.

Also, the direct out from the f-1x works great going to a board for giging and recording.

Bones

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have been using a Demeter VTBP preamp with a Hafler Pro5000 power amp. I am very happy with my sound.

13. I have the Kern 777 running into a Crown K2 power amp into Euphonic Audio 2x10. It sounds phenomenal. The Kern is incredibly verstatile (except for lacking overdrive)and sounds fantastic, from warm round finger-style tones to slap crisp tones. It is quite transparent. Also, I love the controls: very effective & very simple. I think it offers incredible bang for the buck.

BTW, Kern built my preamp with an IEC power cable and not he walwart and added a ground lift switch at no charge.

The Crown K2 is excellent. It lacks a fan making it very quiet. It doesn't get hot and is designed to be convection cooled. It also has some kind of automute function when you don't play for a second or two so there's no noise. It kicks in superbly. It never misses a sound when you play. Simply brilliant!!!