Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PreAmp/PowerAmp = Effects loop ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Aug 2, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Hi all,

I have an Acoustic 120 and am waiting to receive a 220 in a coupe days. I run through a handful of effects, most of which I want to have between my bass and amp however there are a couple that I would like to have in an effects loop type setup.

So my question is: Is running from the preamp out through those effects and then back into the poweramp in basically the same as having a dedicated 'effects loop'. And if the answer is 'No' (I assume that there is technically some sort of difference) is it reasonable & safe to do this?

Thanks for any input that anyone may have.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't see a problem putting your effects there. it might be better than putting them on the front (between guitar and pre) that way you won't be "pre-amping" the noise of the pedals.

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Having a dedicated effects loop is similar but you have the preamp volume before the effects, so if you are running your power amp flat out and control the volume with the preamp, you affect the sound of effects in that "loop." If you had a distortion or over drive effect you would deffinitely change the sound of it by changing the amount of input signal, whic is especially valid if you are using a compressor like that also. That's why effects loops come before the volume control. If you set the level out from your preamp and don't change it I can't forsee any problems.