Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp/poweramp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ewendkos, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ewendkos

ewendkos

Nov 27, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok, so this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some advice. I've been playing for a while, and am considering trying a new rig and was wondering, is there any reason I couldn't use a low-powered tube amp as a preamp into a higher powered amp?

Example: Could I use a vintage Fender bassman (for tone) as a preamp and drive a Kustom 200 head as a power amp? ONLY AN EXAMPLE!

What sorts of things do I need to watch out for/be aware of?

How would it sound?

Thanks in advance!

eli

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The only problem with that is, the "tone" of the old vintage tube amps comes as much or more from the tubes in the power stage as it does from the preamp stage.

You could use something like a Powerbrake to attenuate the speaker output down to line level, but It wouldn't sound like a tube amp.

There are plenty of nice-sounding tube preamps out there. If you like the bassman tone, get yourself a Kern IP-777. It is pretty much a Bassman preamp with a few tweaks for fatter bottom end along with a bit of modern convenience.

Chas

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Oh, I was very rude in not first saying "welcome to Talkbass." Please accept my apology.

Chas

4. ewendkos

ewendkos

Nov 27, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Chas, and thanks for the welcome.

My only issue with the Kern (and it looks great, btw) is that it's a little out of my price range. That and the fact that there are no dealers in the Atlanta area.

Any other suggestions?

eli

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    there are many tube preamps out there, just look until you find one you like.