Preamp + Poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Something I have considered lately is rather than getting a bass head with preamp and poweramp built in, buying each compenent separetly so that that way I can get the sound I want with exactly the power I need. Does anybody do this and like it?
  2. i do it but i'm not happy with my power amp right now. unfortunately some power amps tend to color the sound a bit.. mine does it a little too much for my taste. it sounds like it should be used in a guitar rig or something. but generally speaking, the sound of your preamp will come through even if it is colored slightly. cabinets make a big difference as well.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Many players do. Having a robust power amp not only gives you more headroom for a cleaner sound, but when run in stereo you can drive two cabinets of different impedances or even biamp if you want. Preamps have different characteristics; I've owned an Eden Navigator, have an old ADA MB-1, and currently use a Kern IP-777 -- they are each quite different from one another.
  4. I do it with an Alembic F-1X preamp, Rane EQ, and QSC power amps. Not only can one find a superior tone in separates, but one can easily bi-amp or add/change power amplifiers without replacing everything.

Separates means more bulk and weight. You will need a 19" rack and a few extra cables to connect the pieces. Using the Alembic preamp with its built-in crossover and a 1-space power amp, a bassist could bi-amp in only two rack spaces.

You can get your choice of the SWR sound, or Ampeg, Alembic, Aguilar, Demeter, and Eden in preamps.
  5. I have a MB-1 preamp, it has a function called MIDI where you can save your settings. Such as, If I make a mid scooped EQ, with chorus, I can save it to a number, say, 38. You can save 256 settings and switch between them on the fly if you have a footpedal. I really like it, but it might not be your taste.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Green Audio ME-1 Preamp and
    Green Audio G-1000 Poweramp w/ 2x480W @ 4 Ohms

I really like the preamp with has 2 independent channels, one with graphic and the other with parametric EQ. I can even use either one on the fly or even both simultaneusly, or switch both off as a mute switch. Bi-amping and almost every FX loop setup imaginable. Too bad the company quit business. But it's sturdy as a rock and never ever failed on me.

Usually a good PA poweramp beats any Bass power amp in terms of quality - but it shows in the price of course.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Alembic pre for me also, Mackie power. I switched from integrated head units because no manufacturer of heads seem to have a complete handle on both the pre section and the power. With a rack setup, you can choose the best of both.
  8. Peavey Max pre-amp and Mackie 1400i power amp for me.

I am delighted with the setup.
  9. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Rane DC-24 and QSC-1602 work fine for me.

10. Trace Elliot V-Type preamp and Crest V1100 poweramp. Huge sound, warm and focused. Lows that'll shake beer glasses off tables at the back of the hall!

Best setup I've ever owned.
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    3 Crown powerbase amps and a peavey pre. Love it.

12. Most of the gigs my band plays are in gymnasiums, or large clubs (the place I played last night was a converted warehouse) or outdoors, I dont know how much power I really need. I was thinking about getting a poweramp that produces around 800 watts? That should be more than enough right? Also I want a preamp, that is very equipped to play almost any style. Our set ranges from AC/DC, Phish, Celtic, and Jazz, So I need something that adjust to play slap, and quickly change to a jazz setting. I was wondering about what ThePaste said about the MB-1, I have never even heard of that tell me more paste.
  13. Sorry if I am off topic a bit

What I am wondering - if you add a poweramp to an existing bass head in order to get more power but you want keep the sound of your preamp, does the poweramp already attached to your head become totally useless or is there a way to still use the power?

Ex. 350 watt bass head plus a 1000 watt poweramp
    can you still use the 350 watts?

also what if you add a stereo preamp would that mean you can control 3 different cabs - different levels - different impedances -and so on?

14. Ok bud here I go.

The ADA MB-1 has: about 9 contours, 3 modes of distortion (shaped by contour and EQ), 5 bands of EQ, Compression (Rate, Threshold, Gain), Chorus (Depth, Rate), 2 seperate effects loops that can be used independently or together, and Tube and Solid State preamps (can be mixed or used independently).

The 3 Distortion modes are Clean, Edgey, and Full on. They are shaped by the voicing contours and the EQ choices.

The EQ has Lo, Lo Mid, Mid, Hi Mid, and Hi. The Lo is from 120 and under, you can choose which frequencies you want to amplify for the Lo Mid, Mid, and Hi Mid. Hi is for frequencies above like, 18,000 or something like that

The Compression Rates are 1.5-1, 2-1, 3-1, 6-1, 8-1, 10-1, 20-1, 30-1, etc.

The Chorus sounds good to me and you can get a lot of different sounds with it.

The Tube amp sounds like Tubes (of course), it uses 2 12AX7s. The Solid State is very sharp and cutting.

You can make a patch (say, scooped EQ with no distortion or chorus), then save it to patch 30 (the first one after the 29 presets), then make another patch with full on distortion, save it to patch 31, then make another one with mids boosted, and save it to patch 32, make another one, etc... You can save a total of 256 patches! They are footswitchable with a footcontroller.

They are usually around $200 online (the companies factory burned down and they are out of buisness). There is a guy you can get repairs and parts from, he is listed on

Hope I helped!
  15. just ignore my question I started a new thread called pre/poweramps. :)
  16. That's the direction I'm goin to. SWR GP for pre, and have a few ideas for poweramps. I'm keeping everything as 2U rackmount. That way cuts down on bulk, and puts it in the 800-1400 watt bridged 4 ohm territory

Carvin - DCM1000 or a 1000FET, inputs/outputs are suited correctly. 1/4 and XLR ins, 1/4 and binding post outs

Mackie - 1200 or 1400i, great piece of work. What do you mackie owner think of the FR series of amps? Only thing I don't like is the cost:)

Your Brand here - What do you like as a poweramp? What's the benefits?
  17. The Carvin one's looked like the best ones for the money. And I remember someone saying they had a really good damping factor.
  18. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I love my new set up

Eden Navigator & Mackie 1400i I have not bench tested the poweramp with others so as to realize any difference in sound quality, I bought this set up because I saw another bassist using the same setup and I really liked it.