Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp/pratice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickelseye, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Ok gang, put your thinking caps on ! I'm looking for a device that can be used for multi purposes. I'd like to use it as: 1. preamp, either into a poweramp, or to pa. 2. pratice amp, with cd/mp3 input and with headphones. 3. Direct box. 4. mixer/blender

The Raven Labs PHA-1 is very close to what I need, except that I don't believe it can be used as a headphone amp.

I prefer to have a unit with 2 channels, such as the PHA-1. Basically, I want the PHA-1, but with headphone capability.

Any suggestions?

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The PHA1 is a headphone amp! In fact, it is dual headphone amp; meaning that two players can use 'phones, each with their own vol and mix controls at the same time. It has two inputs which share common eq, but each headphone has it's own mix level.....and it will take cd input .
    As a preamp it is very clean....all the warts of your plying will show up. I used one for sometime as my main preamp. Very, very cool unit...but they are getting scarce now.
    It can drive a pwr amp fine, but has no balanced output for sending to a PA. Add a simple DI at the output and that fills all of your needs.

Max

3. I second that.
    Raven Labs is no more, so you'll have difficulty finding a new one.

4. Oops, my mistake! I meant the PMB-II, which is everything I want but a headphone amp. I like the feaures on the PMB-II: mute switch, tuner send, xlr out, efx loop, etc. I'm just not sure if it can be used with headphones?

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The D-Tar Solstice seems like a currently available substitute for a PMB-II. It has the same problem in that it won't act as a headphone amp. But you could always pick up an inexpensive headphone amp from Rolls or whoever.

Other than that a small mixer (the little Behringers or whatever) will have headphone outputs, mixing and some eq but won't sound like a bass preamp (which can be good or bad depending on what you are going for).

6. I've seen the D-Tar Solstice, looks like a great little unit. Again, if it were capable of powering headphones, it would be just what I need.

I am considering a mini mixer, I may try one out.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm waiting on one of Brian B's True Voice Pre I've been looking forward to it being complete since he first mentioned it last year.

it's not 2 channel, but it'll suit my needs perfect as a recording, practicing, direct with no backline solution.

[disclaimer] Brian is a friend and I do some web work for him here and there [/disclaimer]

8. That seems very interesting. Do you know when it'll be available?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not sure if he's taking orders yet.... I know I'm a few months away from affording one so I haven't asked.