Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halftooth, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have a Modulus Q5 with what appears to be a problem with the preamp. When I try to boost the mids or highs, there almost is no audible difference than when the knobs are set in the middle, flat setting. When I cut the mids or highs, there's no problem and they cut just fine. On the bass knob, I don't have this problem. It boosts, and there is a definite audible difference. My question is, what would cause this problem? Is it a problem with the preamp itself or maybe the pots? The electronics are Bartolini and I have the NTMB preamp. I've tried changing the batteries, but that didn't seem do do anything. Any input would be much appreciated.

*If this thread should be moved, please feel free. I wasn't really sure where it should belong, but I figured this would be the highest visability catagory.

2. Sorry man, can't help :(

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    That sounds like the wire to one side of the pot is disconnected. But that's kind of unlikely. Check it though and see. If that's not it then it's likely a component failure. Good luck!

4. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Carey, I just checked all the wires on the pots, and they're all connected. I begining to htink more and more that the preamp is bad. I guess maybe should start looking into getting another one.

5. I could be way off base here, but it never hurts to ask... Have you checked out your amp setup?

Once or twice I've had times where my treble control didn't seem to be boosting at all, and then noticed that the tweeter control on the cabinet had gotten turned all the way down, or my 5-year-old had been fiddling with the EQ, things like that. Or I'd gotten something (beer) spilled on the strings during a gig, and they were quite dead, so there were really no trebles to be boosted no matter what I did with the EQ.

I'm guessing that you've ruled that sort of thing out, but just in case you hadn't...

Mike

6. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Mike,
    The first thing I checked was the amp when I really started noticing it. In fact, I have a high boost switch on my IAMP 350 head that I have started using as a result of my loss of highs. As far as the strings go, they are a new set, and the same thing is going on. It's quite puzzling. I actually had a new set-up done on it because I was using nickel strings before, and I thought that was maybe the problem. I switched to Ken Smith tapor Core stainless steel strings, and I have the same result. The more I think about it, I don't think it's a bad pot because if that was bad, in theory, I shouldn't really have any cut on either the mids or highs and I have cut on both pots. It's really strange. I also remember now about a month ago, while I was playing the bass, I had a weird surge of boost and cut while playing without touching any of the control pots. It just did it while I was playing, made some loud boosting type noises, and ever since then, it hasn't been the same. I have hesitations about having the preamp replaced if that is it, but i don't want to go out and spend the money for nothing if I'll have the same thing going on.