1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp question!! (Audere JZ6D) Please Help. This is urgent.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by faiz0802, Apr 21, 2010.

1. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    M planning on getting a Ying-Yang (Wootenesque) pattern done on a jazz bass body by a great luthier I know. M getting Nordstrand NJ4 as neck pup and NJ4se as bridge pup. Also putting in Audere Z-mode J Deluxe Preamp JZ6D, but am really confused with the 3 options they have. Check this: http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/p...?idCategory=21

M very tempted to go for the Vol, Vol, T/B, 6 Z-Modes layout since i like complete control over my pickups, but m not sure. M not really good with preamps, any info on what the 3 layouts are and where they apply, what control they have over the tone and sound would be much appreciated.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    M ? FWIW - when you can spell 'Wootenesq' - that 'M' hanging out there looks sorta dumb ...

I would - or rather I did go with the standard JZ3B. Vol stacked on blend, Mid, Treb stacked on bass and the 3-way z-mode. Tonally it is very flexible and the other z-modes are just going to get in the way live is my assessment.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Agreed with 4Mal...I'd go with the JZ3B over the 2 band/5 z-mode model.

4. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    It's JZ3D, or 3ZB if you're talking about the module. um.. just saying.

I agree with you guys, and pardon the 'M', lol... On a more serious note, i wanted to get the JZ6D because it's the only one that gives me individual volume pots for the Nordstrand NJ4 and NJ4SE pups i wanna put in. I thought it would be nice if I had individual control over each pickup, and thats only available in the JZ6D, and i like the other options it allows, but on the link i posted above, there are 2 other available layouts for the JZ6D, and i thought if i had some feedback from some experienced players, that'd really help in making a final decision. I stay in India, and I don't have the liberty of trying them out by myself since, not many people have heard about them in my surroundings.

Actually, I didn't really see this on their web page, but i finally rounded off 2 models for my search:
    http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=14
    http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=46

Any pointers on how the two are different from each other, advantages, disadvantages would be extremely helpful. Am sorry to sound so amateurish, but I've mostly been playing without anything more than a simple amp to bass config. I kinda wanted to expand my sonic limitations, since I now have the cash and was getting a custom bass made. My luthier asked me to select a good preamp and linked me to Audere. He told me to settle on one , and that's where I'm having trouble.

Sigh.

5. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
  6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Cool, so what EQ controls are you going to have?

I have an Audere with 3 bands and a 5 way Z-mode on one bass, and I'm getting the 4 band with no z-modes on an upcoming bass. I like them!

7. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    I'm thinking of going with the following config:
    Volume Controls:
    Master Vol/Tone - Stacked Pot
    Vol/Vol (individual pickups) - Stacked Pot

EQ Control Pots:
    Treble/Bass - Stacked Pot
    High/Low Mid (4 band tc) - Stacked Pot

Z Mode switch - included
    Active/Passive Switch

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice! That's a lot of capability without taking up too much space.

9. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    I know!! The irony here is that all these options are displayed to you only after you go to the purchase page of the Audere website. Not that it's a bad thing, but it would be nice if one could know the available options well in advance.

10. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    i have the classic 4 band in all my basses. love it.

11. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Audere here. Seems like am on the right path after all. What I'd really like is to go with the Michael Pope MPP-2, but that thing's EXPENSIVE!

I hope to get that some day, when a sack full of money falls on my roof. Well... thats the dream. Either that, or I just save save save.