Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp question for Ashdown ABM users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Dec 10, 2003.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Do any of you Ashdown"ers" use a Sansamp BDDI as a preamp with your ABM? I was curious what experience you've had or whether it's even useful with such a warm amp. Is the BDDI simply redundant as a preamp with the tube preamp on the ABM's?

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Does anybody have experience using these together?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i like the sansamp stuff... i really do. great bargain for a little amount of money. but when you get right down to a/b'ing it with higher quality tube gear, it just doesn't stand up. stick it in front of a lesser SS combo or similar quality head/cab combo and you'll get some results. stick it in front of the ashdown and i think it would detract from the ashdown-y goodness... if you are unhappy with your tone, i think you have some pretty decent trading options.

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've got an ABM and a BDDI.

They are rarely used at the same time - I use the BDI when I can't use my ashdown at a gig and have to use someone else amp or I have to DI directly.

Or if someone is using my amp at a gig I plug the BDI in and let them set that up how they want and set the amp eq how I want.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm in agreement with Big Joe, =^..^= and SMASH. The Ashdown ABM product doesn't need any asssistance to get warmth out of it IMO.