Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp question for those who know about these things.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hello

I just have a question about preamps....

I tour with my band and since we fly alot, i don't take my rig with me. I usually run through couple of pedals into a Sansamp BDDI and then into the desk, due to the erractic standard of rigs i come across.

I have been thinking bout upgrading and taking a top of the range DI and preamp on tour.

I have been looking at a DB 680 and an Avalon U5.In NZ we don't get these so I would have to travel to try it out...

MY QUESTION IS....

If i buy a U5, would I have any need for the DB 680 aswell?....

Thanks folks.

Rhys

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've seen many people post that they use a U5 as their only preamp. How much EQ control do you need? I think that I'd be sorely tempted to order just the U5 first to see if I was happy with just it before ordering an additional preamp.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used a U5 for a preamp for a while. It was great. I went to a head because I didn't want to haul the 2 space Avalon and a 2 space amp around.

You can't go wrong with a U5.

4. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    You might want to try the Groove Tubes brick, that thing sounds great and it's a very high quality piece that's certainly road worthy. I have one in my studio and I've used it to record fretless bass direct, sounded excellent, I think you would be happy.

5. I either am playing a Stingray 5 or a Warwick Streamer Jazzman. My tonal needs are not sooo huge. I am fairly happy with my tone right now.

Maybe the U5 is the best option.......too much nice gear to think about :)

6. U5=set it and forget it!!!!!! It sounds great!!! The millenia is a great pre but costs about 3 times as much, and it has more tone shaping possibilities. The U5 is great is you are happy with your bass tone and you don't need to tweek knobs. If you can check out the new Fender pre, TBP-1, it's getting great reviews, I heard Reggie Hamilton play one last week and it was killin'.