Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Jun 17, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    How, when and why do you preamp a bass rig? Shouldn't a bass amp be good to go on its own? What does it do for your sound?

2. Separate components allow more flexibility.

With a preamp, you can choose the sound you like such as Alembic, Kern, Aguilar, Demeter, SWR, Ampeg, and Eden which are all available as preamps. Once you have the tone down, if you run out of power, you change out just the power amp and leave the rest alone. Should you want to bi-amp, insert an active crossover after the preamp. Think of this as an expensive set of tinker toys.

There are other considerations to separates. You need a rack to hold them, more space to store and use them, a patient wife to allow more $$$ spent, a stronger back to carry them, and a bigger vehicle to carry them.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Every amplified instrument needs a preamp somewhere in the chain. "Bass amps" simply have the preamp and the power amp in one box. Just like some rigs have the amp and speaker in the same box.

The preamp lowers the impedance of the signal so the power amp can digest it. Features like EQ, compression, crossovers and have become an industry standard but are not what makes it a preamp.

Some prefer flexibility. The want a particular pre-amp tone and want/need more power than is offered in the "bass amp"

For example, if you were playing a show for all of the east coast, you could buy an Eden preamp and a rack full of power amps and have a 10,000 watt eden amp.

I use a Bass POD pro for a preamp. Simply because it and a power amp becom a 36 channel amp. I switch tones from song to song and want the flexibility of the POD. I happen to have a Carvin R600, and I just use the power stage of it by running into the effects return. I could also use a plain power amp.

Chas

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have a Zoom 708. Is that really a miniature preamp? Can I do the same thing with it? Run it directly into my effects return and plug my guitar into it directly to use it as a preamp? I also have the Carvin R600. I don't use it to play out-but maybe I should. I have run it through my effects but plugged my guitar into the amp jacks. If I do it the way you do will I bypass all the amp settings? Which brings me to another question. I can't get enough volume out of my set up. It is the R600 cyclops. What is my easiest remedy?

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Hey Biz,

My bass POD is the POD pro. It is the rack mount version. I don't know if the signal levels on the regular POD are the same. Probably are. As for the zoom, I suspect it would work.

I use the effects return so that the Carvin's preamp doesn't color the signal before going into the POD. I also have better control of the output level variences in the channels this way. It certainly won't hurt to try running the zoom into the return and bypassing the Carvin's preamp. The trick to amp modeling is to reproduce the sound as clean as possible. By running my rig the way I do, I am in effect turning the R600 into a plain old PA head.

As for the volume question, the answer is simple. Buy an extension cabinet. If you want volume and punch, tack on another 210 or better yet a 410. If you want bottom end and meat, use a 115. It is simply a matter of speakers. Two ten inch speakers are not going to have a huge amount of volume. As far as efficiency goes, more speakers will give you more sound. This is within reason of course.

I have heard many say the cyclops is a nice rig but lacks volume. I think the decrease in cabinet volume created by the slantback adds to the lack of output, but even Carvin's 210 extension cab is not huge loud.

Buy a Carvin RL410T to add to it. I have one of those. It will significantly improve things.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for your input. My last thread is a little confusing. I do use my Carvin to play out, but don't use the zoom out as I haven't learned how to fully utilize it. It has a plethora of options and I am pretty new to this game. Also the Cyclops is Carvins big combo, (2x8 and 1x15 in one cab). I am skeptical about buying Carvin Cabs. I was thinking of building a set of 2x12's with tweeters for a total of 4 12's. That ought to bring up the volume.