Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fingerfunk, Oct 13, 2002.

1. fingerfunk

fingerfunk

Aug 17, 2002
    I have been looking for a good preamp for DB. I have a sans amp bass driver DI for my electric setup and have recently started to use it on my DB through a SWR baby blue II. It definitely sound better but Im not sure if it was designed with DB in mind. Is the the bass driver suitable for DB or should I try some other preamps. Thanks, Jim.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The SansAmp Bass DI has an input impedance of 940K ohms, reasonably close to the 1 megohm or better that most piezo-based URB pickups like. Whether a higher input impedance is necessary depends on your pickup.

I'll agree that the SansAmp doesn't have the most neutral-sounding response, from reports I've heard the Acoustic DI is better. That said, I've used my Bass SansAmp DI with my Bass Max-equipped Kay in a couple outdoor shows with no stage amplification, so I could drop a line to the board (rather than take a chance on their DI), and the sound was fine, from the floor monitors and from FOH reports.

It's up to your ears and SansAmp tweaking skills.

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I second Bob's comments. I have been using the SansAmp Acoustic DI with a K&K BassMax pickup.

I am very happy with the sound and I got it for a killer deal. The parametric mid control is quite effective.

I may upgrade soon (I would love a mute and a tuner output) but I think I will always keep the ADI.

Some possibilities include the Raven Labs series, the Presonus Acoustic-Q.

For festival shows, when I do not bring an amp, the ADI is clearly superior than the ratty DIs that usually suck the life (and tone) out of a DB.

YMMV.....

Touch

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    A friend of mine uses an aguilar outboard preamp with his double bass and it sounds great.... and he only paid $25 for it plus 3 free lessons to the guy who sold it to him.. not to bad of a dea if you ask me.