Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jun 9, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, I was just curious on your thoughts about the OBP-1 vs. the OBP-3. I want to add an active jazz bass to my aresenal so I was wondering the similarities/differences between the 2. Can you set them up with an active/passive switch? The only active bass I've owned is my stingray, but its too aggressive, just cant seem to tame it, will all active electronics have that agressivness? Sorry if these are dumb questions but its late and i cant sleep over it. any advice would kick ass, thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    obp-1
    two band, (bass/treble) boost only

obp-3
    three band, (bass/mid/treble) boost and cut. Treble has a different frequency center than on the obp-1

Both can be wired with active/passive switch

The stingray agressiveness is more due to the pickup and pickup location than the electronics. A good preamp should give you as close to the natural bass sound as possible with the eq flat. The Aguilars do this IMO.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks, I can sleep now. now to just figure out which aggie is right for me, but I really appreciate the help