Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, May 31, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Can anyone recomend any rackmountable Tube Preamps (under 400 bucks)? I don't even know where to start. Sorry if this thread has been hit before, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything of relavance. I have a G&L L2000 and a Mesa Boogie 400+. I am looking to lighten my rig up becuase I only do smaller shows anymore. That amp is very heavy! (but it's sweet!)

2. Ampeg SVP-Pro gets the job done nicely for me. Five tubes of goodness. Fat and warm. Not sure if it's under $400 new but it is used.

3. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    You can usually pic up a used SVP Pro on eBay for $350ish but you won't know what you're getting. Some of these preamps are known to get very noisy (S/N Ratio) and have some solder joint problems. Others are OK.

I just had mine serviced last week. The tech replaced all tubes and resoldered about 100 joints (he guesstimated). It cost me $105.00 ($70.00 was just in tubes) but it's as quiet as can be now. I'm willing to sell it but I'd have to get $400.00 + shipping. If interested PM me.

Joey

4. Trace Elliot V-type, plenty of warmth and an "interesting" EQ eq section. Old ones and new ones (with compressor and overdrive!!!? have suited me fine for a while now....

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    There have been a couple of older Demeter's on bassgear.com recently.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    And this one is one of my favorites.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Alembic F1-X. You can find them used on eBay in that price range.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    and this is the second preamp in my rig ;)

9. If you're looking for something that will sound sort of like your 400+, I think you need to look at the Alembic F1-X. jmho

10. Check out www.basstasters.com

Homeboy tested out a gang of pre's and has audio samples of each with different basses and eq's.

My vote is for a SansAmp RBI (tube-y goodness without the hassle of tubes) or the BBE BMax-T.