Preamp recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, May 31, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Can anyone recomend any rackmountable Tube Preamps (under 400 bucks)? I don't even know where to start. Sorry if this thread has been hit before, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything of relavance. I have a G&L L2000 and a Mesa Boogie 400+. I am looking to lighten my rig up becuase I only do smaller shows anymore. That amp is very heavy! (but it's sweet!)
  2. Ampeg SVP-Pro gets the job done nicely for me. Five tubes of goodness. Fat and warm. Not sure if it's under $400 new but it is used.
  3. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    You can usually pic up a used SVP Pro on eBay for $350ish but you won't know what you're getting. Some of these preamps are known to get very noisy (S/N Ratio) and have some solder joint problems. Others are OK.

I just had mine serviced last week. The tech replaced all tubes and resoldered about 100 joints (he guesstimated). It cost me $105.00 ($70.00 was just in tubes) but it's as quiet as can be now. I'm willing to sell it but I'd have to get $400.00 + shipping. If interested PM me.

4. Trace Elliot V-type, plenty of warmth and an "interesting" EQ eq section. Old ones and new ones (with compressor and overdrive!!!? have suited me fine for a while now....
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    There have been a couple of older Demeter's on recently.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    And this one is one of my favorites.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Alembic F1-X. You can find them used on eBay in that price range.
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    and this is the second preamp in my rig ;)
  9. If you're looking for something that will sound sort of like your 400+, I think you need to look at the Alembic F1-X. jmho
  10. Check out

Homeboy tested out a gang of pre's and has audio samples of each with different basses and eq's.

My vote is for a SansAmp RBI (tube-y goodness without the hassle of tubes) or the BBE BMax-T.