1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Buskman, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I may be possibly picking up a used Brubaker Brute MJX-5 in the near future.

Now the cool thing with this one is that the seller has upgraded the pickups to Nordtrands (NJ5 for the jazz pickup, MM5.2 for the music man-style bridge pickup). However, I think that he's kept the stock (OEM) preamp (4 knob layout: blend, volume, bass treble).

What preamp would you kind folks suggest for this particular set of pickups? I'm looking for versatility here - from what I've read it seems that this bass has a naturally modern zing to it, but I'm a sucker for ol' school tones too, so it'd be great to be able to call on those also if need be. I'd like to obviously get the most out of those 'Nordies', so I'm thinking a pre upgrade would possibly be in order.

Aguilar? Bartolini? Nordstrand? Leave it alone? :help:

Thanks, people!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    There are several choices that could work fine with those pickups. The custom Brubakers that have been going to the Japanese market have been equipped with Nordstrands with Audere preamps. An Aguilar OBP-3 should work fine, IME how wekll they work is largely up to how much you like them in a particular install. I haven't been disappointed with a Bartolini preamp yet and they can usually do zing and old school. It would also be interesting to hear how the bass sounds with the stock preamp.

There's also Glockenlang, John East, Duncan, EMG, Sadowsky, Mike Pope... you have lots of potential choices. Almost too many.

A great source for parts is www.bestbassgear.com.

hth

3. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Don't forget about LowEnd...

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Thanks for the input, guys.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on the bass in the near future & see how it sounds with the stock pre & take it from there. :)

5. orlando123

orlando123

May 26, 2009
    Hey did you ever pick up that bass with the "Nords" in there and if so hows the sound? trying to swap out my MM pickup for coil tapping.

6. I've got Nordstrand Fat Stacks in my Yamaha TRB5 and have an Audere preamp installed in it. Sounds brilliant.