Preamp selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insighted02, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Hey guys,

I need some advice in which preamps to look into. Right now I have everything in my rack picked out but I'm not sure which preamps I should be looking at.

Please tell me what you think. (include models, internet sites and vendors if possible please).

2. I have a couple other things to add.

The preamps that I have been looking at have been the rackmount Sans Amp RBI

what do you think?

What about demeter?
    Where do I get them?
    How much?
  3. timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    Without being too presumptuous, I would say that the behringer is probably not in the same league as the Demeter or The Auguilar Or Alembic Pre's If your wanting a Pre amp designed and built for bass.
    I Have an Alembic F2-B (stereo class A) which I have done a little bit of tube swapping with. I bought it used for $500.00 Canadian (what's that, like 2 bucks US??) and then I spent about another $100.00 on different tubes until I decided on a GE NOS 5751 with 3 Mica Spacers. It's not a 50's or probably even a 60's NOS, but it is really great for bass. The preamp is very clean, has a very hot output (I have made an L-pad after my pre to be able to send it to my compressor at a low enough level), and is hand wired and made very sturdy. These things have been around for decades with NO design change. I think that says something right there... This is coming from a guy who traded in his Bass Pod to get this pre. Simpler IS better for bass, I am now convinced!
  4. interesting timre,
    do you know where I can look at prices or where to get more info?

5. timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    They Are in Seattle and they have a big list online.
    The have the F-2B and the F-1X check the desciptions online. They 599.00 US brand new. Spend another hundred (at WAY most) on tubes and your off to the races.
    Check this guy out for tubes, I found this site when I was doing my GREAT SEARCH FOR TUBES. I ended up buying from a local hi-fi tube amp place and paid 35.00 canadian each for my tubes. This guy seems to be a lot less...
    I haven't used him but he seems to have a lot to choose from. Do a search in this forum for '5751 tube' and I think you'll get all the reccomendations you need for the 5751 with bass. Have Fun! I know I did.
    By the way, I have been using my pre with these tubes for about six months now, from a cover band to celtic trad and it is WARM. That is the best adjective, WARM!
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I ordered my preamp off of the Demeter website.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Another vote for Demeter, I have the's simple and has very pure tone.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i enjoy the tone and quality of my SWR IOD preamp.. I don't use overdrive, the clean tone is great IMO.. brand new they can be had for $549.99
  9. Gotta go with Timre on the Alembic . There are lots of Pre's with more bells & whistles , but for pure TONE , it just can't be beat , IMO . I run mine into a Crown CE1000 , and it simply KILLS !!
  10. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Demeter (VTBP-201S or HBP-1) or Aguilar (DB659 or DB680) if money's not an object. But the Ampeg SVP PRO or Sansamp RBI are very versatile & will save you $$ over the Demeter & Aggie... especially if you buy used. I'm personally leaning toward the Demeter 201S as a purchase in the near future.
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    gotta go with the stomping frog on this one. the interstellar overdrive is CHOICE.

i'd dare to say while it's not really versatile EQ wise, it's got the perfect combo of tube sweetness and SWR clarity.
  12. Ditto

13. Just got my Demeter 201 and Stewart 2.1 and WOW. Took it to rehearsal last night and it was awsome. We were all jamming with these cheese- eating grins on our faces because it sounded so good. We are a three piece and I really need to fill my space, if you know what I mean.
    This forum was a great help in my search for a good preamp. Thanks guys.

Also, I put my dbX 160A in the effects loop and I would recommend this to anyone who likes to play funky/slappin/rocking groove.
  14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Another vote for Demeter. I have a pair of the older VTBP-201's. I also own an SWR Grand Prix which is a very nice preamp as well but the Demeter is my favorite.

15. I've been using the Sans Amp RBI and the Sans Amp BDDI for a couple years now and think they sound great.You can get one for about $300 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.All the other ones mentioned are good too but they don't cost $300.
  16. the 201s
    I just ordered it from the Demeter sight last week and it should be here soon to goe with my awaiting QSC-PLX 2402 yummy.

Thanks to all my good pals here TB for making my choice a little easier. :D

I'll keep you posted on my test it out.
  17. I've used an Alembic F1-X for about 6 years and it works just fine. What it lacks however is graphic eq. It has Bass Mid and Treble. What it does have is gobs of tubie tone. Lately I've been using a Line6 Pod Pro. It costs about the same as the Alembic. It of course is the other end of the spectrum when it comes to features. If your a purist you will probably shy away from the Pod Pro. If your looking for a large variety of usable tones it might be what you are looking for. I would recommend either one.
  18. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have an Alembic F2-B and I love it. I didn't even know what "warm sounding" meant until I got this - but with the bright switch you can still get a killing slap sound. I see no need for more eq on this thing, and the ability to cascade one channel into the other gives you some interesting tonal options, including pretty nice overdrive.
  19. OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    Line6 basspod/podpro is the way to go... i'm using mine through my old swr as a pre(via poweramp in connection) and swr model from line6 sounds the same that the original through the swr's pre!!!

line6 is perfect to get the advantage of different amp(ampeg, swr, gallien...) setups by just pressing the floor button, but the effects are really crappy&unuseable. but if u need good basic tones that are highly portable line6 is quite good solution.