1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

preamp setup: furman pq3 / sansamp / pod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mw, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    so i'm making a portable rack/preamp system to plug into the power amp in of my combo amp for small gigs/practice.
    i have the following:

sansamp bass driver
    bass pod
    furman pq3 3 band parameteric eq/preamp (original 80's version)
    yamaha g-50 guitar to MIDI converter (first in chain)

i have a two space rack that i want to fit the furman pq3 and the g-50 in and have some velcro on the top of the rack to place EITHER the BDDI OR the bass pod. (i suppose i could do both, then i guess just look at question 2)

Question 1: i've only used the pod and BDDI for PA only setups (both worked quite well, but i liked the bass driver better for that application). which would work better as a preamp?

Question 2: where in the effect chain should the furman go? before or after the BDDI/POD?

2. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    noone? should this be in effects?

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Both the Pod and BDDI are basically pedals designed to take instrument-level input so I would definitely run either of those first (well, after the converter). The Furman PQ is a rack unit, and probably capable of taking either instrument or line level signal as input, and delivering a nice line-level output to the power amp.

In other words, the Furman could probably act as preamp, so when choosing between Pod and BDDI just use whichever you prefer.