Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp setup: furman pq3 / sansamp / pod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mw, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    so i'm making a portable rack/preamp system to plug into the power amp in of my combo amp for small gigs/practice.
    i have the following:

sansamp bass driver
    bass pod
    furman pq3 3 band parameteric eq/preamp (original 80's version)
    yamaha g-50 guitar to MIDI converter (first in chain)

i have a two space rack that i want to fit the furman pq3 and the g-50 in and have some velcro on the top of the rack to place EITHER the BDDI OR the bass pod. (i suppose i could do both, then i guess just look at question 2)

Question 1: i've only used the pod and BDDI for PA only setups (both worked quite well, but i liked the bass driver better for that application). which would work better as a preamp?

Question 2: where in the effect chain should the furman go? before or after the BDDI/POD?

2. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    noone? should this be in effects?

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Both the Pod and BDDI are basically pedals designed to take instrument-level input so I would definitely run either of those first (well, after the converter). The Furman PQ is a rack unit, and probably capable of taking either instrument or line level signal as input, and delivering a nice line-level output to the power amp.

In other words, the Furman could probably act as preamp, so when choosing between Pod and BDDI just use whichever you prefer.