Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp setup Idea. Your thoughts please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by troll, Feb 7, 2005.

1. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I think I am a bit annoyed with lugging around a large rack, and was thinking of ways I could maybe cut it down a bit without losing too much quality and any components. I have the usuals, seperate compressor, preamp, power amp, a tuner/sometimes wirless, and power...

I was thinking I could easily get it back down to 4 spaces, and it even occured to me I could do it while possibly curing preamp gas. I'm not too thrilled with my current svp-bsp, I want more eq flexability mainly, and I don't use the dirty channel enough to warrant keeping it.

So heres the pre setup idea I had. Many of you are probably familiar with the newer line of 1/3 1U size presonus boxes.

So why not run the eq, tube, and pre16 all in line? Which would cover all my needs and current setup, in a single space. Instead of 2.

I'm sure I'll get all sorts of grief abot the quality of these units, and the simple and limited controls, but honestly, they probably do everything I currently use my current components to do.

Yes, I enjoy compressing on the way in, limiting on the way out, so having two channels is kind of nice, and the maximizer in the maxcom is neat, but not necessary. I run it on auto anyways :)

I would cover my eq wants since each band is frequency and range adjustable. And, well, it'd run through a tube which I also find important.

Sure you'd lose a few things you'd get out of a normal pre, like an effects loop (no biggie to me) and add several connections into the signal chain, but for live use, would it really be noticable? Unlikely. Plus you have a nice way to run DI to any soundboard right out the tube pre as well.

So have at it, am I that crazy? Is my obsession of putting together a full function but small and efficient rack going too far? I'm seriously considering selling off my current components to give it a try.

Thanks for any input and opinions.

Troll