Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Shootout 2 Has Begun!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, May 29, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yep, it's that time. Let the rejoicing commence.

Bass Tasters Website

It took us 8 hours solid of recording, but we got all 16 preamps recorded and now we're bustin ass trying to get them chopped up into mp3's. We did 3 un-eq'd clips (finger, slap, chords) of each of 4 different basses (fodera, mtd, sadowsky, smith) for each preamp, and then 3 more clips with different eq settings for each style. Whew. In short - 15 clips using each preamp (240 total). And remember - we weren't going for perfection, and after 8 hours fingers get kind of tired, so don't judge on technique.

About the EQ settings, for the fingerstyle clip we tried to come up with a fat, chunky setting to show off that preamp's affinity for big booty. In the slap department, we went for that scooped sound. For the chord clip, we shot for something bright, clear, and a little squeaky - again just to show off the capabilities of each preamp.

So far we've only finished 4 preamps, but more will be coming every day. Next we're planning on more basses, more preamps, and a string shootout.

Last thing - a huge thanks to nightbass, tombowlus, and davidwilson for sending preamps for the shootout - they entrusted 11 preamps to Josh and I for a week, so let them know you appreciate it if you get a chance!

Thanks everyone, let us know what you think :D

Bass Tasters Website

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    aww, yea...

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You are very welcome. Thank YOU for all your hard work in doing this shootout! I look forward to the results.

BTW, I just got my Stewart back safe and sound. :p

Thanks again, Tom.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No problem, glad to help out! Got the Kern, Trace, Warwick and BDDI back safe and sound today.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Good to hear the kids are back home safe. Load of my mind.

Just posted pictures, and 4 more preamps (that's 60 MORE soundclips) for ya'll to check out. Including everyone's favorite demeter and the shock of the test to me - the warwick.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So far, that Demeter is sounding da schweetest to my ears!

8. Fantastic job, guys! This is how "shootouts" should be done.

Mike

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    You Guys are my heroes! I have never had such a wondeful oppotunity to let my 'ears' be the judge.

If a picture is worth a thousand words visually, then a sound clip comparison is worth a thousand written descriptions.

This preamp shootout? ... Priceless!

For all the preamps we'll want to buy after hearing the results, there's Mastercard.

FYI - Some of the soundclips link to a "page not found" error. Yes, I refreshed my browser.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yep, big apologies to everyone - some of the EQ'd clips were linked wrong. They should all be fixed now. If you find more (and have the time) I'd really appreciate you letting me know - todd@vanselus.com

and...

Hey, we're international! How cool!

Thanks everyone for your support, we're suckers for a little ego boost! :)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    does TB offer medals of honor?? :D

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    What an incredible amount of work you guys have done. My hat is off to you two.

I'm out of town for the next few days but I can't hardly wait to have a listen.

And that photo....what a dream come true!
    :bassist:

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That is awesome - I think you guys have done a fantastic job!

Keep up the good work.

PS Demeter was my fav so far - although the Kern was definately best with the MTD!

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    damn, you ain't seen nothin yet! (but really, thanks!) :D

don't shoeboxes make a great custom preamp testing table? and the box + dolly rolling recording rack. Sweeet. What can I say - we're sponsored by Bite Footwear

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow. Talk about the coolest refernce site ever. No more "What preamp should I get" questions.

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah, now it's just, what's that preamp going to sound like with MY bass and MY fingers attatched, eh? Even with the same gear, Josh's fingers sound meatier and smoother, and mine sound brighter and punchier. Wierd how that happens.

UPDATE! I put 4 more preamps up today, the SWR Grand Prix, the SWR IOD, Alembic F1-X, and the Ampeg SVT-Pro.

Stay tuned.... :)

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Great job guys, this is an amazing site :)

I was wondering, though...is the preamp stage of the Aguilar DB359 the same as the DB659?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Well, yes....and no.

So far, you're making me really glad I just bought a Demeter 201S, but....you're also making me wish I had a Fodera 5 string.

Thanks for the great work!