1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp shootout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanm, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Preamp1

36 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Preamp2

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Preamp1
    Preamp2

Simple question, which preamp do you like better? Unfortunately, the cheap soundcard really colours the sound. However, I think you can still tell the difference.

Bonus points if you guess at the preamps.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I don't know what it is, but when listening to #2, I hear some residual resonance coming through and it sounds a bit muddy. I like #1 myself

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Although I can't guess the actual preamp from mi 2 1/2 inch powered computer monitors (probably coulden't if I had 18 inch subs either), I woul hazard to guess that preamp 1 was SS and preamp 2 was tube.

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    True, but I'm going to assume that's probably from the recording setup and go with #2.

5. 2 was just the littlest bit meatier so I voted for it, although I didn't really care for either sound.

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think Hyde is correct. I think the second preamp lets more bass through and the sound card cannot handle it.

I may have to get a better sound card... But that is another thread.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I almost added "they both suck" to the poll but I wanted some people to actually vote for the preamps ;) So if you think they both suck, let me know.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    You dont care for the dead string Pbass sound.. fine.

Preamp 1 would be more punchier
    Preamp 2 would record better.

My Vote, neither. Your P Bass needs something with a little more gut. (however i vote for 2, because its tube)

9. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    The bass sounded a bit like a Rob Allen doing a P bass impression to me. I preferred numero uno. . .

10. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I voted for preamp 2 because it seemed to have more 'girth' to the tone.

That said, I wonder what a more dynamic signal (i.e., slapping & popping) might do through that pre.:confused:

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    #1!

12. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I liked #1 a bit more because it sounded a more punchy/dynamic & a lot more clearer tone. I felt like I could just hear the bass a lot better with #1.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, #1 sounded better on my small computer speakers. One of these days I'll get better audio for my PC.

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Number 1, but I don't care for either.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Is #2 the SansAmp BDDI or RBI? Sounds more scooped than #1.

As noted I have weak computer speakers, so I could be way wrong.

16. Neither.

17. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Listening to them a second time, I guess I don't like either because they sound too "dry", for lack of a better term.

18. Not sure which preamp I like best, but could you post the tab for that bassline? That simply ROCKS! :D

Actually I think I like 1 better. But you pick whichever one you like. Or if you can't decide, pick the cheapest one. Hard for me to tell them apart, actually. Not much difference. More low end in #1. I think #2 sounded bassier to some cause there was an unmuted string doing a pedal tone through part of it.

Randy

19. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    No. 2 for the lows

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd prefer #1's sound for live playing in a loud band; it has a bit more midrange and sounds slightly compressed. #2 sounds a bit more natural to my ears; I think it has a sound better suited for recording.

BTW sounds like a P-Bass to me.:cool: