Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp similar to M-Pulse?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Oct 29, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I had the pleasure of playing a M-Pulse today while my buddy was making some guitar deals at a shop a few hours away from where we live.

Man, that thing was smokin'.

I just bought a poweramp that I'm really liking.....and since I don't have $1400 to drop on the amp(not use of used prices.

So Im wondering if there are any preamps available that have a nice tubey grit and great clean tone together.

I'm not looking for something that sounds exactly like the M-Pulse. I only played it for about half an hour. I'm just looking for something that would be considered similar.

I'd get the M-Pulse if I could afford it.....man, that was some sweet tone..

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In no particular order:

Aguilar DB 659
    Alembic F-1X
    Kern IP-777
    Read Purity
    Ashdown RPM-1
    Fender TBP-1
    Demeter 201s (not so much gritty, but somewhat similar clean tone)

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've read that the Mesa MPulse has an unbelievable clean tone. Glad to hear you liked the one you played.

I wish Mesa would market a standalone pre based on that amp...that would be awesome!

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My thoughts are that Mesa's MOSFET power section must be adding some of the thickness in the lows/low-mids, because the preamp out signal of my Walkabout (which is similar to the other M-Pulse heads) doesn't have this somewhat overly thick lows/low-mids, and it does, in fact, have an unbelievable clean tone. Check it out on basstasters. Heck, for that matter, check out all the other preamps there!

I agree that an M-Pulse preamp could be a very good thing.

Tom.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Thanks tom

Anyone know if any of these or know of a preamp that has a footswitchable overdrive?

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The Ashdown has the tube drive footswitchable. Its not huge distortion, but quite a gritty breakup.

Not sure on the Fender, fairly sure the rest dont though.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Fender does, and so does the Hughes & Kettner Fortress preamp, which I forgot to add to my initial list (though it's a mostly clean sounding preamp).