1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp/slave question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fender4stringer, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fender4stringer

Fender4stringer

Jan 18, 2013
    I've been playing active basses forever but recently picked up a vintage Fender with one passive single coil pickup. Can I get a boosted signal using a preamp?

Specifically I'm trying to find out if I can use the in/out chain using a Fender Rumble 100 into a Rumble 500. Hate to fry anything ... and will the end result make any difference? If it works how do I do that?

To date I haven't had to push the 500 much at all, usually keeping gain and vol at 25% and it has been really clean and punchy. Now that the signal is a bit weaker I'm having to bring up the gain and vol and with that I can hear it's starting to struggle a bit. If I can help it by adding a preamp life will be good again.

(note: I pulled out the amp section of the Rumble 100 and morphed it into a rack-mountable)

Thanks for your help!

mike

2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Donner Boost Killer micro mini booster pedal

I just got one of these to boost signal on a very low output bass, to get it up to where it matches my other basses. Only $27 on Amazon, very clean boost. A clone of the xotic RC booster.

However, I'm not sure what you are really trying to do. Leave the gain low but only boost the volume on the amp, should maintain clarity and will do the same volume with the vintage bass as with any active you own.

Fender4stringer likes this.
  3. Why not just plug the passive bass into the Rumble 500’s input?

Fender4stringer likes this.