Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp suggestions for mag and piezo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Dec 9, 2004.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'm looking to upgrade the onboard preamp in my fretless Acacia. It has two lane poor soapbars, and RMC piezos in the bridge, and right now it has an RMC preamp in it, which is just OK, but has no eq. Surprisingly, the piezo tone isn't so great either.

What do you guys have for preamps in your basses that are equipped with magnetics AND piezos? I know you need a piezo buffer to really get the best out of the RMC's. I'm considering Bart, and Demeter, but I'm curious to see if John East makes anything that has a piezo buffer as well. I had a u-retro in a bass and loved it. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

2. i know people who swear by bartolini blend modules, then just a regular Aguilar pre

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Curious, do you have the tone knob for the piezos? Are you using a Hybrid B preamp? I'm about to receive my new Linc Luthier bass and it has that circuit in it, and I think it should sound good....

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    sorry for the lapse, I lost track of this thread. I don't have a tone knob on my RMC, just a boend knob. It does sound pretty good, even without eq or tone controls. How is your Linc Luthier working out? I'd be curious to hear? is it fretted or fretless?

jake

5. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    My new bass is fretted. It is working out pretty good. I'm getting some 60-cycle hum that I think is coming from the magnetic pickups that I'm going to have Villex look into, but overall the tone is just incredible from them. As for the RMCs, they just sound great. I'm experiencing a level problem when I use the pan control in the middle, the volume drops off a bit, but I think that is probably because of the Villex mid tone coming in front of the buffer circuit, and because both the mags and piezos on at once load the preamp alot more than just one... I have Lane Poors in another bass and I think some of your tone problems might be fixed by trying something different, perhaps Villex or Bartolini or something else. Lane Poors tend to be a little wimpy on the low end IMO, but they have a nice natural sounding high end......

6. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I am also using an outboard J-Retro Stompbox preamp, the STMP-01. That replaces the onboard active EQ....

7. sgt.floyd

sgt.floyd

Dec 5, 2004
    basston

I also have a fretless set up with a pair of Lane Poor's (passive) and a Piezo (fishman pre). Have you had any luck finding an onboard pre that encorporates the piezo?

how about a way to blend the peizo in with any onboard?

anyone?

please?
    TIA

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    My bass is gonna have nordstrand dual coils with a piezo equipped ABM bridge. They are gonna run on an Fbass pre and the blender is by d-tar... hope that helped :p

9. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hope you are not using the standard ABM piezos, they use awful Shadows..... Get an RMC or Graph Tech or Turner.

10. Awful Shadows? I'm new to the piezo game but my new custom is going to have an ABM on it. Any info would be appreciated!

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    May wanna give Rick Turner a call and see if you can get a hold of the preamp he uses in his Electroline basses. Or maybe his new company D-Tar offers something for this?

12. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Awful shadows? Care to elaborate more? I'd really like to know before it gets finished and shipped to me.

We initially decided to go with Rick Turner's piezos, but let's just say he makes basses better than he conducts his business (which resulted in a 3 month delay for my bass...)
    I'll go and give Carey a shout about this.

Thanks for the heads up.

- cherns

13. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    I have to say that I have had nothing but problems in getting the metal saddles made for the piezos I install. I don't want to get into the details here, but I don't yet make bridges, just the pickups. I had a shipment of the bridges come for installation of the pickups for a French luthier...and what was sent to me were bridge plates and no saddles...

I'll be working on an in-house bass bridge soon with piezos. They will be available for luthiers and aftermarket installation once I get going with them, but please don't call me for them yet.

Meanwhile, the D-TAR Eclipse circuit card is what I use in both the Electrolines and the Model 1 instruments. It's quiet, has a ton of headroom (18 volts...), has scalable input impedance on each channel, gain controls for each channel, and a pre master volume effects loop of insertion of EQ or whatever. There are provisions for a master treble roll off OR separate treble roll offs for each channel.

www.d-tar.com

14. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Sounds great Mr Turner :)
    I sincerely hope to try out your new piezo bridges if I get a fretless done. It's a pity they won't be on the current bass that I have coming.