Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp suggestions for new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelEoM, Mar 27, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    im starting to do some research on preamps for when i have the cash for a pre/poweramp rig. heres what im looking for, and im very open to suggestions....
    im thinking about running into my ampeg V4B(which will be loaded with 2 eminence omega pros) and an acme low B2 or B4.
    i'd like to run into 2 poweramps, one for each cabinet. so 2 fullrange outs, biamp outs are not a necessity, but definitely a possibility.
    i like the warmth of tube amps at low volume, but im not into overdriven tube sound.
    i like having a lot of control over my EQ.
    feel free to rail on me about my choices, but make sure you leave me some helpful advice while youre at it;) thanks.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Pre's with built in dist/ovrdrv/fuzz:
    Ampeg SVP
    SWR Intestellar Overdrive
    Acoustic 360 Pre (may need some mods?)

If you want to invest in a good overdrive pedal, there are many more great choices.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ah, sorry, maybe i wasnt clear. overdrive/distortion is what i'd like to stay AWAY from. i like the warmth that an all tube amp gives at a lower volume(i.e. svt300, V-4B) but i dont like the way they sound when cranked. hence my want for a solid state amp/tube pre combo. i hope that clarifies things a little.....

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sorry, my bad.

If you want clean and warm, either the Kern IP-777, which is what I have, or the Aguilar DB 659 or 680 will do you well. I have owned the Kern for over a year and have recently tried out the Aguilar DB 659. Both are really excellent. The Kern is all about lots of clear, rich bottom. It is very easy to have too much bottom in fact. The Aguilar has thicker mids. I really like both, but still prefer the Kern. I can get some of the thick mids of the Ag with the Kern, but the Ag cannot get the bottom of the Kern. I also thought the Kern had better transient response, and I prefer the eq on the Kern. The Ag is going to be a little closer to the Ampeg sound, but much more refined. It also has a better effects loops. You will not go wrong with either one.

I firmly believe that if you want a trully fat, clear, and warm sounding rig, you should use a tube power amp too. I have the Aguilar DB 728, which I really love.

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    thank you very much lo-z, its exactly what im looking for. im going to check out the kern i think. and the db728, thats the 800 watt monster right? ha, im way too lazy to go look at the site. does that break up at all when you push it? i SO do not like distortion.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Aguilar is rated at 400 watts. Of course, there is so much harmonic content that it sounds a lot louder.

It remains clean. The 6550's don't really break-up until they are really pushed hard. But they do retain the warmth. There is a used on going for a very good price on ebay right now.