Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp suggestions for The world's worst Cabinet (Basson)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 18, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Okay. I've established that talkbass community generally considers Basson Cabinets to be the worst peices of junk ever made....
    however.....I've gotten one for better or worse.... and as much as I'm hopelessly in love with my GK 1001rb II, it just isnt gonna give me the power i need...The cabinet apparently wants 1000 watts to breathe right...which narrows my head choices down to ampeg and a few others, none of which thrill me...i despise the Ampeg sound...so it"s components...Already decided on a power amp

now the cabinet"s strenght is lows and power, but i need to be heard very clearly. Basically trying to get a semi hi-fi sound, since the cabinet isnt naturally very articulate.............

was thinking about BBE Bmax-T, Pearce BC-1 (if i can find one) any suggestions???

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The problem I see is that if the cabinet isn't articulate it doesn't much matter what you run through it. It still won't sound articulate.

3. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    How bout buy a poweramp, and run the GK as a preamp?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Have you thought of pairing the cab with a 'high definition' cab? Like a 2x10? That way you're going to get more definition but keep the lows you like. You're already used to carrying several heavy cabs, and you say that the one cab is loud enough, so another small one wouldn't hurt you.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about what a few people say about those cabs here...you liked it before that thread, and you'll like it after.

5. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    now dont get me wrong.....you can hear subtleties and the expansion of the note with this cab...it's at least as articulate as my GKs...it's just not an Epifani....

6. Also, if you used a pre or power amp with a high pass filter, it might clean up the sound some.

The Ampeg SVP-CL has a knob on it where you can drastically change the sound of the low end. You can do flat, slight low end roll off, more drastic low end roll off, big scooped sound, and the last setting is like the last with a little more mids.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I never said Basson cabs were junk, I said they weighed a lot. At winter Namm they had an SVT 4 pro at the Basson booth and while it sounded pretty boomy through their 810, (with the same settings) through their 410, it sounded the best I have ever heard that amp sound... very defined & punchy... and I am not a big fan of the 4 pro. The super high power rating, the fact they are 8 ohm cabs & the weight are the main reasons why I don't own a Basson 410, not the sound.

So if you love your amp, then I am with primus_55... How bout buy a poweramp, and run the GK as a preamp?

8. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    haha not enough room in the road case....wont give up my tuner for nuthin....anybody ever use the BBe or ART Tube Channell?

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    what's a tuner? :D

10. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Exactly, GKs are very powerful.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think the GK will have enough juice. If it doesn't... Why not get the GK 2001 preamp?