1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp suggestions to go with a GK MB 800 Fusion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pete Greenfield, May 14, 2019.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    For the record, I don’t think Sansamp or Tech21 Vt sounding pedals sound anything like an Ampeg SVT. There are way better SVT style pedals these days. The Broughton is the best by a country mile IMHO

Evil_Druid likes this.
  2. Smooth, approved! And agreed the GK gets a righteous rock tone all it's own, just give it some gas (gain) and let it run!

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. Not that you are in the least itty bitty bit biased there Mossy.

4. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Broughton SV-Pre ;)

5. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    You beat me to it lol

But honestly, He's right about the sansamp not sounding like an Ampeg. The best you're gonna find next to the SV-Pre is an Ampeg SCI-DI, and even then it's just *that* much off from the tone of a true SVT

6. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Earth, Planet
    The GK mb800 is already a capable amp. A little EQing and tweaking should get you close and maybe better than Ampeg stuff, but Sansamp will get you what you're looking for

another good option would be placing a Tech 21 YYZ in front of the GK

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    How am I biased? I don’t represent any of the companies? What are you talking about?

I have 2 SVTs and spent a long time trying to find a pedal that copped that sound. I have never heard a Sansamp or Tech21 pedal that came close. The Sv-pre comes very close minus the power tube crunch.

Evil_Druid likes this.
  8. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    There’s an AMPEG SCR DI b stock for a good price right now on SW.
    If you want ampeg tone get the ampeg preamp.

Pete Greenfield likes this.
  9. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I think he means that now that you've played a broughton, your taste may be skewed

I mean it's not like Josh is keeping them from anybody, he just doesn't make them in large amounts so it's a little more difficult to acquire one. When hype dies down it'll be a different game. He doesn't play favorites, it's all fair in love & toanz ;)

10. Pete Greenfield

Pete Greenfield

Apr 22, 2019
    I got the sound I wanted without any boxes in the end. I was just trying to set things up in a room with crappy acoustics. Sounded fine in the rehearsal studio and at last weekend's gig.

Thanks for all the input, chaps!

PETE

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Use channel B on the MBF...it will get you grit and break up real nice, I play through a pair of them and they never ever disappoint or leave me wanting for tone. Rock on.
    3GK.

12. Pete Greenfield

Pete Greenfield

Apr 22, 2019
    Cheers mate. That's a great looking rack as well. I'm a big fan of lights and am thinking of adding a spectrum analyser to mine, entirely for show. I saw John Entwistle do that in the 80s and it looked great :) Which band are you with?

13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Theatre Of War