Preamp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hi!

First of all, I don't know much about these things. All I know is that I wanna have more sound opportunities from my Hartke 3500 head. (And that my english sucks big time :) )
    So I'm thinking about buying a preamp, and drive it trough the effects return on the head. Then I can just turn of the hartke preamp, and it will use the external one instead, right?

Anyway, where I live I don't have too many changes to test out different preamps. The local music store doesn't exactly have a own room for bass preamps, to put it that way. So: what preamps would you suggest? They have to be affordable, not much more expensive than 1000 dollars. That is indeed the upper limit. A guy here in Norway is selling a Warwick preamp pretty cheap. Are they any good?

Thanks for taking your time!
  2. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Ok, jeg gidder ikke skrive engelsk, med tanke på at du er norsk gjør ikke det noe uansett... :)

Tenk seriøst på den Warwicken! Jeg har prøvd ut en liten combo amp, og etter min mening var pre-ampdelen i den svært god. Sinnsykt fin lyd. Det var en liten combo så den spilte ikke så høyt. Men hvis Warwick baserer alle pre-ampene sine likt kan jeg ikke tro at du blir skuffet!

Ellers kan du jo sjekke ut Eden, Ampeg og Demeter. De har gode pre-amper, og hvis du har $1000 (7-8000 kr.?) skulle jeg tro du har nok gryn!
  3. Ok, takk, hvor får man kjøpt preamper i norge da? Må det importeres?
  4. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Tja, Demeter markedsføres av . Ta kontakt med Magne på . Snakk med Kjell Ove på Tre45 i Trondheim hvis du er interessert i Eden.

Generellt hvis det er en produsent du er interessert i se på hjemmesiden deres. Markedsførerne står som regel oppført der (godt gjemt, vanligvis... heh).

Ellers kan du snakke med folk i musikkforetninger i lokalmiljøet. De kan vanligvis bestille det meste for deg.
  5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile

English, m*th*r f***er, do you speak it!

6. nice.

i have a warwick quadruplet preamp and i love it. over here it lists for $1000, but i bought mine used for $450, which is about the going rate over here. it's very flexible and sounds really nice. i recommend it. not a lot of people have it in the states, but i was hooked after the first time i played a warwick amp.

another option you might be able to try, if it is available in norway, is the sansamp bass driver DI made by tech21nyc. it's a preamp/DI in a pedal format. it will give you many new tone options and it will be more flexible. you could put it between your bass and your hartke's input, or you could run it into the effects return, too.

7. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    I speek Inglish werry guud, Tank yu!

8. I just don't know what to believe :meh:

9. Hmmm, a "Royale w/ cheese?"

White dude: What?
    SJ: DOES... HE... LOOK... LIKE... A... BITCH?
    White Dude: What?
    SJ: Say 'What?' one more time, m*th*rf***a!!!
    SJ: I'll say it again, Does he look like a bitch?
    White dude: NO.
    SJ:Then why did you have to f*** him like a bitch then, Brad?
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.
  11. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

12. Yes, thank you, I speak English - although not so good.

Thanks to those who have answered. Is there any other good options than the warwick?
  13. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Ok, in english this time...

How about the Ampeg SVP-Pro? Very good pre-amp! Think it goes for about $750... I'm GAS'ing for one myself...
  14. JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    what aint no country i ever heard of do they speak english in what
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

"You... Flock of Seagulls... you stay on the couch"

haha.... what a movie :hyper: Is it sad that we have this much time on our hands? :eyebrow:
  16. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    wow definitely owe me a new pair of underpants....

(isnt underpants a cool word? ive been reading too much calvin and hobbes...)
  17. If you can READ english good then check this site out:

Decide for yourself what you like. They have the Ampeg SVP there to listen too if your interested in that. No comment on the Ampeg, but personally I think the Avalon is the best on there (coincidentally its the first one listed), with the AI Clarus a close second (coincidentally the second listed). But that's just my tastes and my ears. [Paging van... where's the GK?]

Edit: And IIRC, the Warwick is also on there...

Edit 2: Oh, you said you want to run it through the effects loop and you need a lot of tonal options... sounds like an ADA MB1
  18. 'underroos' is cooler... ;)