Preamp suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomdweller70, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Can anyone recommend some good preamps that might sound good for detuned music....only as low as C....any price range?
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think most any preamp would fit the bill of low tuning... if it satisfies people with a 5-string, it'll most definately satisfy your drop C tuning.

It's a question of what kind of tone you want. Any descriptions... artists comparisons, maybe?
  3. Anything thick and punchy, but defined....and metal. :bassist:

Looking at Tech 21, Ampeg, and have heard good things about Demeter.

Anyone have experience with any of these?
  4. I'm playing with an Alembic F1-X and SF-2 with my basses detuned to C. It works quite well. I have no complaints other than my own inability to use the SF-2 properly. I find the F1-X's eq is a little limited.
  5. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Dooder, I would totally reccomend looking at the Tech 21 Sansamp Rbi. I've had mine for a few months with a QSC RMX 1450 power amp and it rocks my socks. It's very versatle. I can get almost any sound I want. Hope that helps.
  6. jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    MXR M-80 has a good modern HI-FI sound that fits well with drop tuning, and heavey fuzz distorion also. :bassist:
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the RBI. It's cheap and versatile :)
  8. Any others......what about Demeter?
  9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The Demeter pre-amps are super clean, articulate, and hi-fi. They handle, like all pre-amps, the full frequency range but they put out a really crystal clear tone. I love mine but that's the tone I'm after.
    For something a little more rough around the edges look into the Aguilar 659 or 680 or the Read Purity (which I'd love to try someday). These have (according to the users here) a little thicker "vintage" type tone.
    Just my thoughts.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Eden Navigator or Ashdown RPM-1. both have a quasi aggressive, yet tubey tone. and their EQ's are very flexible. the Sansamp RBI is great for a nice grindy tone, too, but not as flexible. the Demeter is clear and open sounding.

course, there's always

also, ANY preamp should have a wide enough range to suit low low frequencies. its your cabs that'll affect your sound the most. with that said, only Acme, Eden's XST line, Accugroove, etc. hit low enough for those low low tunings.
  11. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Trace Elliot V Type can give you density + clarity at a great used price.
  12. I'll put in another vote for Demeter. I'm running a VTBP-201s at the moment and it's been great. I'm also using strings as low as C#, almost an octave beneath the C you're talking about. no problems.

if money's no object, though, you might want to check into Glockenklang gear. Trip Wamsley and I have done a couple of things together and I have got to say that his preamp is the sweetest I've ever played!

from the lows,

13. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)