1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

preamp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biff malibu, May 13, 2006.

1. i need a preamp to go direct to the PA with.

i need a sound that can do the svt thing and also a big dance club - kylie minogue kind of thing.

im thinking svp-pro? or svp-cl.most of my favorite rock players tones' come from svt classic heads, but that smoothjazz/modern dance requirement is messing me up here.

2. Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ditto. I also use an SWR IOD. Haven't decided which I like better.

Actually, I've never heard a truly bad preamp. Its just a matter of personal taste.

Riis

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I love the SVTP-ll non- pro pre.... much fatter than the newer pro pres that they are turning out.... not as fancy looking and not as feature filled but IMHO sounds way better...
    Also have you looked at an Alembic F1X pre... NOt as nice sounding as the F2B but it has more features that you may prefer.

5. If you can get lucky and find a N.O.S. SWR Grand Prix or a decent used one, that's what I'd do. I tried about 20, including some that were twice the money or more, and it ended up being my favorite. I still can't figure out why SWR quit making it and went with the IOD. The IOD is nice, and I wouldn't mind having one for a second sound, but for a main pre-amp, the Grand Prix is sweet.

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Avalon U5. I haven't found anything for going direct to PA that beats it and few pre's or DI's that come close.