Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Let me start out by saying... if cost were no object I'd buy an all valve Trace Elliot in the blink of an eye... but moneys short and times are hard, so...

I'm now thinking Carvin DCM1000 power amp for lots of cheap reliable power and an ACME B2 cab for full range sound for my 5 string fretless.

But what should I do about a preamp?

Or should I skip it altogether and do something like a BassPod Pro?

???????

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    For the money, a lot of people, myself included use a sans amp, the BDDI is good, the RBI even better.

3. Thanx for the reply Blisshead... is there a website for more info about the sans amp?

4. I started using the SABDDI as a preamp and I like the sound of it way better than my swr bass 350. However I haven't tried it with my poweramp yet. I will keep you posted when the poweramp comes in.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yep CLICK ME
    try searching here too, lots of people use these things.

edit: I use it with a Mackie 1400i I'm very happy with it. I do plan on upgrading to it's big brother, the sans amp RBI.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like my SansAmp RBI...

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I like my BDDI A lot and will use it as a pre when I get my poweramp until I can get a pre.

Here's the dilemma: I like the BDDI as a disto unit too so do you think I should get an RBI as a pre, use the BDDI as an effect and never get a better preamp (such as an ashdown)? I like this idea 'cause the BDDI (or RBI) has good tone and is cheaper. As well the ashdown weighs a lot more than an RBI and is 2U not 1U.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't see any problem with that.

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I'm not sure if you're set on a rackmount preamp or not, but if you're willing to check out something smaller and more compact, I would highly suggest the Sadowsky preamp. They used to make it as a belt-mounted unit, but have since switched to a floor mount stompbox housing. I've been using one for 5 years and swear by it.