1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp swap. Getting low volume and distortion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Systolic, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I have two Warwick Corvettes. One was passive and I had my local tech install MEC golds and a SD STC-2A preamp. Sounds absolutely killer.

My other was already active and the preamp was dying. So I bought an STC-3A to have him put it in.

6hrs later he throws his hands up on it saying "its wired up the same as the other...aside from now having a mid pot!"

Volume is very low and distorts when plucked hard. The battery in it was only like a week old.

I'm posting on his behalf. What could be the issue other than a defective preamp out of the box?

2. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Bump

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    • a.) Defective preamp out of the box
    • b.) Installation error

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What made the original preamp start “dying”? Maybe the problem is with the pickups instead.

5. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Nah, nothing like that, just a scratchy blend pot and it was a generally low quality preamp in general. The SD preamp I put in the first Corvette sounded great so I just wanted them to match.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Gotcha. Standard troubleshooting procedure is to go back to a known good state (maybe pickups straight to jack) and add one component at a time.

Usually when I install electronics I test them before closing up the cavity. Sometimes wires can get stuffed into the cavity and end up inadvertently grounding out.

7. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009