Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 14, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hey! This is the thread for preamp users with active bass. Which preamp you use with your active bass(very interested in Spectors) and please specify what type of music you play.
    So far I know:
    MXR Bass Preamp/DI
    Sadowsky Outboard Preamp/DI
    Aguilar DB924
    Fodera Model 2000 Preamp
    Aphex Bass Xciter
    T. Rex Purist Bass Preamp
    Demeter Bass EQ Preamp Pedal
    Radial Bassbone
    Fishman B-II Preamp, Pro Eq Platinum Bass

I hope this thread will hell me to decide which preamp will raplace my Sansamp.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What don't you like about your Sansamp?

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I like it sometimes. If I play just a groove, it sounds good. If I play some chords or harmonics it sucks all the life from the sound. And I hate using sansamp with my other effects on all the settings. I think that sansamp is good for rock and metal music, but I mostly play funk and acid jazz.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I use a Sansamp GT2 to liven up my clean side.

5. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Does it meant for bass?

6. I play my Warwick LX5 into an Ampeg SVP PRO tube preamp. The Ampeg wasn't cheap, but its controls are very versatile, warm rich smooth tones, dial in more drive and it BARKS!!

Worth a look for sure at your local shop.......:hyper:

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Since you don't have your profile updated, I'm not sure what you using as a rig. As such, I'm wondering why you are limiting your options to pedals. Are you interested in a rack-mount pre or only pedals?

I've owned the following from your list and I'll give you my opinions of each:

1. Fodera 2000 - Probably the best sounding of the pedal pres I've owned. Simple, clear tone and the pedal itself was enough to drive a power amp. The drawback? No AC adapter capability and no XLR out (this was an older version). I would have kept this one over the others if it had had these features.

2. MXR Bass DI+ - This was my least favorite pre, tone-wise. I never could dial in a tone that I liked, clean or distortion, but that's due to my own personal tastes. It is a VERY well-made pedal (as all MXR pedals are) and many here like it. It has all of the features that I wanted, but none of the tone, unfortunately.

3. Sansamp BDDI - Out of the three I've owned, this was the one I decided to keep. The tone is MUCH more pleasing to me than the MXR, but quite different from the Fodera. The Drive is much more subtle than the MXR's distortion (two different animals, OD and distortion, but, in this case, the relative subtlety of the BDDI's drive was what i was looking for) and the BDDI has all of the features I need, with the possible exception of a lack of truly controllable mids.

So, in the end, I sold the MXR and the Fodera (didn't want to sell this one, but the lack of the aforementioned features was causing it to collect dust) and kept the BDDI. The BDDI has served me quite well.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use and EBS micro-bass II. I play rock. I like it alot.

9. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Planet Boulder, rack stuff is too big for me, as I don't have a car and quite expencieve also.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's interesting because my experience is not the same. I find it quite useful, but then again I play pop and rock. I also use it in conjunction with a compressor which seems to help quite a bit as well.

11. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Maybe it also depends on what kind of bass guitar you use with it.

12. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Have you though about going DIY? The very first project I ever built was a dumb-simple active EQ/preamp module to use with my Steinberger. I mention it because the whole thing cost me less than $40 to make, and that includes the price of book it was printed in and the soldering iron. I still use it in studio and stage today, in a variety of applications, although I've since put it in a sturdier box.

13. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I wish I could do it myself, but I don't understand much in all those shematics.

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The book is called Projects for Guitarists by Craig Anderton, and explains in detail how to read and assemble everything in the book. It's a popular book for beginning DIYers, and as a result there's a ton of online help, as well.
    Like I said, the one I use was my first project, and before that I could barely solder a cable. It's addictive, though, now I'm up to repairing and modifying small amplifiers and reading books about math...

15. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Oh realy? I can solder a cable :) I have to check this book

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    MXR M-80 - Mainly use it for rock but I've done loads with it, it's just my current band is power pop rock punk etc or something like that :D

17. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I heard that some people use ART tube mic preamps for bass, the price is about 50$, Is it realy usable for bass?

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Sadowsky- Definitely the best sounding to my ears for an active bass. It adds a "glossyness" to the top end and can add decent bottom. Wouldn't say transparent, but can add a nice sound without changing the character of your bass too much. I use this with one of basses that has a bartolini preamp when I want a little more or not using my own amp.
    Aguilar- To my ears, although this and the Sadowsky are at the same frequencies, the 924 is good for altering the sound you have and giving your bass a distinct character. I think it is a great unit but better on a passive bass to really add bottom.
    Demeter-Kinda Hifi, but probably the one I favor the least. Love the rackmount demeter stuff, but the box tends to be almost too hifi for my tastes
    MXR- Not bad.. great value for the price and the with a lot of variety.
    Tonebone- I was very underwhelmed with this device... felt like it sucked tone out of my rig. Last choice

I play a mixture of R&B, Jazz and Gospel (also the occasional rock gig) and use passive and active basses.
    Something to consider before buying is what you are looking to accomplish. If you are totally happy with the sound of your bass, I would go for transparency. Somthing like the Sadowsky. If you are trying to radically alter you sound I would choose something like the MXR

19. Ten

Ten

Oct 3, 2005
    I have no idea what's going on in this thread, but I saw preamp; thus I'm going to suggest an Avalon U5. It's technically a DI with a preamp feature, but it's simply amazing. Crystal clear tone, defined, soaring highs (bright but never harsh) and crisp, crunchy lows. Such an amazing piece of equipment.

Sorry, I'm a bit high on the thing at the moment. :D