1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp to get good SVT rock tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Paul Anderberg, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg

Feb 10, 2016
    Alright, so I'm playing bass for a musical that's WAY rock-oriented. A lot of covers from bands like Green Day, Evanescence, AC/DC, Imagine Dragons, etc. I can only plug in direct, no amp. Not worried about it as I'm playing through in-ears and the system is VERY nice. I'm playing an American Standard Jazz V.

What preamp should I be using to get the best SVT-like, rock tone possible so that if I push into it, it can give me the overdriven sounds I'm looking for? Here are a couple of ideas that crossed my mind.

* Tech 21 SansAmp
    * Tech 21 VT Bass
    * Ampeg SCR-DI
    * Ampeg SVT-3 PRO (using Direct Out)

-Paul

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    franvarin likes this.
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Add the Two Notes Le Bass to your list!

RoeyHaviv likes this.
  3. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg

Feb 10, 2016
    Hmmm...hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe a used SVP-CL?

5. I was going to say what Two Fingers did, we'll, sort of...

If you want "Ampeg Tone, "why not just buy an Ampeg?

JackANSI, Mantis Tobaggan and lfmn16 like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Grab a Khan DI. It's the SVT-DI made by the guy that originally designed it and it's awesome!

dannster likes this.
  7. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Odd you should ask that question now as I've just today installed an ECC82 valve in my DHA VT1-Purist-Bass pedal (in place of the stock ECC83). In front of the PF500 tonestack it is getting *very* close to that wide open sound without any silicon harshness or graininess.

So maybe try something like that into an Ampeg or Tech21 pedal running clean?

8. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I can't speak to the others, but I've been totally satisfied with my Tech-21 VT Deluxe pedal for live performance and recording. I call it the "SVT in my gigbag".

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

I went for VTBassDI to cop that Ampeg rock tone before getting my Ampeg rig. Had a chance to record with the DI last week and compare it with the amp's tone. The band all agreed on the fact that it sounded very close to the amp.

10. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Get a cailainbread SfT. You won't regret it

bassrich likes this.
  11. mrwood4

mrwood4 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Southern Illinois

I use one of these and love it! It's definitely the ampeg sound of course, but it's a very clean preamp. If the OP is looking to get a little overdrive and is going the rackmount preamp route, the SVP-PRO would be better choice to get the OD sound.

JackANSI likes this.
  12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This is what sansamps are for.

thebassguy86, torza, AndyLES and 2 others like this.
  13. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Seconded. The OD channel on the Le Bass is massive. Great Ampeg-like drive/dirt from the tube, with the addition of a cab sim that is tuned for the Ampeg 8x10 "fridge". Yum.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    +1,

I have it and love it. The scrambler mode gives it a nice SVT growl. Checkout some reviews on YouTube. The other features it has make it one of my favorite pieces of equipment that I own.

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  15. I use a sans amp RBI and I can get pretty close. The weird thing is if you look at the setting in the manual manual the tube amp setting sounds more like a SVT to me than the SVT setting. So if someone has a RBI and what's to get closer start win the tube amp settings

16. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    First thing that came to mind.

bassrich likes this.
  17. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    the VTDI has a speaker sim that is really nice. you can probably snag a used one for about $125

18. Subbed

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I use the Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe and could not be happier. Before that, I used the Ampeg SCR-DI, but the pad for active/ passive is on the inside and I kept over-driving it when I switched basses, and not the good kind of overdrive. There might have been a way around this, but I went with the VT Deluxe instead.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.