1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp to use with a DB728?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by msquared, Jun 30, 2007.

1. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What are you using with your DB728 (or what did you use when you had one)? What did you think, would you use that combo again?

2. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    DB680 ....or a demeter or alembic

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Well, I can also think of several that would be awesome. The question is whether some (aside from the obvious DB680) work better than others with this amp's built in color.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and while I'd have a blast spending the next year rotating through ten or twelve nice preamps, I'd rather narrow it down to a couple.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i got a pair of em :) and i am using a sansamp RPM and RBI, as well as an SWR IOD. they all work great.

something to keep in mind, i had an svp-cl for a short time and it wasn't a good match. way too much low end going on which turned things into a flubby mess. the Tech 21's and the SWR have bass controls centered a bit higher in the frequency range which work well with the massive low end that the DB's produce.

gonna get an AGRO too when they come out... should be dangerous.

JR

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Thanks JGR, the IOD is one of the first preamps I was going to try out regardless.. I love that thing. Good to hear.

Has anyone paired the 728 with a Trace V-Type? I know it won't be the same as a V-# series but how close does it get?

I'm also tossing around the idea of an Avalon U5 on the front.

6. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    U5 and then throw in a bassdrive or an AGRO if they ever come out for grit

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021